Weight questions

Thread: Weight questions

azmaynard is offline Junior Member

DefaultWeight questions

Hi everyone my name is Alyssa M. "Allie" I have a questions about my Yellow Lab/ Hound mix Lilly. Lilly will be 18 months old next month. I took her to the vet Friday to get some anti car sick meds & the vet said she was over weight. Lilly weights in at 57.7 pounds. The vet says she should
    weight in at 50-55 pounds . Adam (my husband) & I put Lilly on a weight control food & haven't given her any treats since Lilly's vet appointment
    (last Friday) but I'm not sure Lilly should be on a restricted diet. All the web sites I've been on say that a female yellow lab should weight 55-65 LBS.
    Should I worry about her weight? I mean I trust the vet but I'm kind of questioning him at the same time. I'm working with Lilly to be a therapy dog
    for wounded soldiers, (my way of giving back since Adam is a soldier in the Us Army) are there any healthy treats out there? Something I can give
    Lilly when I'm working on a command or trick that won't make her fat? I worry about Lilly's weight too I don't want her to get hip dyspepsia,
    diabetes or anything like that. This is the first dog Adam & I have had & we want her life to be much better then how it started. (Lilly was meant to
    be a hunting dog but she made a bad hunting dog so the guy abused her till he got bored then dropped her off at a kill shelter. When we adopted
    Lilly she was already 5 months old. We just want to give her the life she should have since the beginning. ) Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
    Allie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MandyGirl is offline Member

I personally wouldn't worry a great deal about her being over weight - I'm sure others will disagree with me. At the most she is 7 pounds over your vets ideal. I think just being more aware of her portion sizes for her meals and limiting treats to training or rewards when providing therapy. On those days you can decrease her meals. Does she like vegetables? Carrots are a huge hit here. I also use all natural beef liver as a treat.

Hats off to you for providing therapy to wounded soldiers! It's rewarding for everyone involved.

Melissa; mommy to Mitchell and fur baby Mandy

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

It's hard to tell if she's overweight from just a number. It really depends on her frame and how she looks. The vet may be worried that if she's already putting on weight at such a young age, you might be headed for trouble further down the road.
    As for treats, you could measure out her daily kibble and use a portion for treats during training. Some people add greenbeans to their dogs' meals to add bulk without calories and carrots as suggested above work for some as well. There are also many packaged low calorie training treats available at most stores if you prefer.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

My dogs love apples...I even have trouble with Sophie stealing the ones off the lower branches of our apple tree...I wouldn't worry about her weight yet. Just don't give her food with a high cereal content.

Tanwen is offline Senior Member
    I moved to Banbury in Oxfordshire in 1993,prior to that I llived in Birkenhead,Cheshire

I'm sure someone else can give the link to the site that shows you how to judge whether your dog is overweight by viewing her outline. Maybe your vet is concerned that, like children...those prone to being overweight when young are more likely to carry it through to adulthood. I read somewhere that if you can keep your dog to its target weight, you can add years to its life.

HarveysMum is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dek View Post
    It's hard to tell if she's overweight from just a number. It really depends on her frame and how she looks. The vet may be worried that if she's already putting on weight at such a young age, you might be headed for trouble further down the road.
    As for treats, you could measure out her daily kibble and use a portion for treats during training. Some people add greenbeans to their dogs' meals to add bulk without calories and carrots as suggested above work for some as well. There are also many packaged low calorie training treats available at most stores if you prefer.
    I completly agree with this. My lab is 3yr old, from an accreditted breeder but he was diagnosed with Elbow dysplacia last year and has had bilateral surgery. To avoid future health issues we are trying to get him to a 'good ' weight. The vet surgery we have has about 6 - 7 different vets and each one of the will tell me something different about Harveys weight. The younger ones will tell me he is over weight, the older ones will tell me he looks great. I think this is because the younger ones go by the standard issue weight chart and the older ones go on experience. Harvey is a big boy, no doubt (in terms of Kgs), but you can see his waist and feel his ribs so i am ok with that.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I like the slightly chunkier looking Lab but it isn't healthy for them. I was told it is healthier for them to be thinner.
    Ernie is 9 standard height and weights around 25-26 kilos.
    Tessa has just turned 5 and around 27kilos. (think a rough guide you double the kilos to get lbs.)

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

azmaynard is offline Junior Member

Thank you guys so much for your help... Can you please help me post some pictures of Lilly? I've tried but it just hasn't worked.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Since your dog is a mix you can't really use the Lab standard to gauge what your dog should weigh. There is a chart in most vet's offices that shows what correct body condition should look like on a dog. If you can feel ribs (not see) without a lot of pressure and your dog has a clearly defined waistline (dips in between the rib cage and the hips) she is probably fine. If she is straight from shoulder to hip - she should probably drop a few.

And - diet foods are usually pretty crappy. Literally. They are chock full of fillers and will make your dog poop more. You should use her regular food and reduce what you are feeding in quantity. You can add green beans to make up for some of the volume. Carrots are fine in smaller doses - they do have a lot of sugar comparatively. I'd just cold turkey the treats until she is slimmer. If you have been giving so many treats that it makes a difference calorically in a given day - it's probably too much of a habit.
    Last edited by BigBrownDog; 07-17-2011 at 11:37 AM.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.