Dry skin II
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry skin II

Lucky6 is offline Senior Member

DefaultDry skin II

Ok, so I had no choice but to wash Koko last night, she rolled around on a fresh grave site, (I have a historic vet's cemetary behind my house). So I went ahead and used the mother's apple cider vinegar, vet's shampoo, and conditioner. We still have dandruff this morn. I also bought some fish oil caps to add to food. My question is....how long should I give new food and supplements till I see a change? And after this period of time and no change then what?
    Katie adopted by koko

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I think it took about 4 weeks before I noticed a change in Caleb's skin after adding supplements.

What problems did he have and what did you start him on?
    Katie adopted by koko

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bbbbmom is offline Senior Member

I want to know too....what dosage of fish oil also?

Skin related, Caleb has always been itchy, and he had terrible flaky skin (it's pretty bad when you can see the skin flakes on a yellow Lab). Switching his food to the Natural Balance Limited Ingredients line has helped (it stopped his ear infections, too). He gets Super B Complex and 1000 mg Salmon Oil in his breakfast and 500 mg of Vitamin C and about 1/4 cup of blue berries in his dinner. He's definitely much better than he was. I just realized, tho, that the vitamin B Complex has wheat, soy and gluten in it (literally, as I was typing this). Since that's kind of counter productive to the grain free food, I'm going to stop giving it to him, and increase the Vitamin C to one in the AM & one in the PM (the B Complex has Vitamin C in it).

MnMsMom9902 is offline Senior Member

Miko has dry skin problem and we would see white flakes, that looks like dandruff, throughout her body. When she was about 3 months old, we started adding salmon oil to her food. Her dandruff cleared up after about 2 weeks. But, because she did not seem to like the salmon oil, we stopped giving it to her. After awhile the dandruff came back. When she was about 6 months old, the dandruff was getting pretty out of hand. So we started to mix the salmon oil into her kibbles again. This time around, she loved it! Same as before, the dandruff cleared up after about 2 weeks.

This is what we use http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...ang=en-US&Sp=C . On the bottle, it says to give 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of weight, we feed her about half of the recommended amount.
    Last edited by MnMsMom9902; 11-05-2009 at 12:30 PM.

Miko (April 6, 2009), CGC

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

My black Lab, Bess, had chronic dandruff which was caused or worsened by my giving her baths using baby shampoo under the mistaken belief that it was gentle. A black Lab with a penchant for rolling in stinky stuff is hard to effectively "spot clean."

With Puff, I now know better.

I've never seen one flake of dandruff on her.

She gets one Costco/Kirkland 1,000 mg Fish Oil capsule a day, same as me.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

My downfall might be bathing her too much but she loves to roll in dirty stuff and she ends up stinking so bad after two weeks even with me cleaning her with baby wipes. I started her on 1000 mg fish oil caps a few days ago. I am hoping it will help. How do you endure a stinky dog???
    Katie adopted by koko

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr. View Post
    ...She gets one Costco/Kirkland 1,000 mg Fish Oil capsule a day, same as me...
    Thanks for the reminder, Bob! I forgot to mention that Caleb's supplements are all human ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky6 View Post
    My downfall might be bathing her too much but she loves to roll in dirty stuff and she ends up stinking so bad after two weeks even with me cleaning her with baby wipes. I started her on 1000 mg fish oil caps a few days ago. I am hoping it will help. How do you endure a stinky dog???
    Yes, bathing too much certainly doesn't help. Caleb doesn't roll in stuff, but he loves playing in his kiddie pool and with the hose in the summer, and our water stinks to high heaven. Usually a good wipe down with lavendar baby wipes takes care of it, along with a good brushing (which, btw- helps with the flaky skin, too). If I absolutely have to give him a bath, I use Buddy Wash dog shampoo.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

You can give 1000mg of fish oil / 10 lbs of weight. Work up slowly. You also need to give vit E if it is not already in the fish oil product. I give 200-400iu. If given without E it can depleat the body.

Give organic apple cider viniger at 1 tbsp daily in food with water added. Works great on dry flakey skin. I have seen results in 2 weeks but can take longer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast