Important Question

Thread: Important Question

Adam87 is offline Junior Member

DefaultImportant Question

Regarding crating a dog while I am away at work. I work 10 hour days and as of right now, leave them in their crate while I am at work.

Outside of keeping them in there during the day, I give them a world of attention as soon as I arrive. Daily walks, play time, the works so to speak. They spend time with other dogs normally once a week or so. So behaviorally, they are doing great.

But I cannot help but feel like their is a better way to keep my dogs from making a mess of my apartment while I am gone. Through anyone's experiences, is their anything I can do to not keep my dogs in their crates all day. I have a spare and empty bedroom, but my lab has chewed a HUGE hole in the drywall of my bathroom before when he was little, and I am not sure if I really want to do that while I am gone all day at work.

Both dogs are 1 year, give or take a few months, not sure, they were rescued. I just do not feel right keeping them couped up all day and I hope that someone has some experience with this. I have a feeling I may just end up leaving them in the spare room one day with a whole lot of toys lol.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I know what you mean.
    I hate crating them for hours, but sometimes need to. Mine can go outside to their outdoor house so easier, but Tessa doesn't have an outside house yet so has to be crated inside. If it was summer I would put the crate on the porch under the pergola so she could come and go to it.

I wasn't sure if Ernie could be left alone so left him for half an hour then built it up.Sometimes I wonder what will great me, but has been fine for a couple of months.Tessa and Gemma haven't earned that right yet so crated.

Over the weekend I would try the bedroom for an hour or 2, then by the end of the weekend much longer to see how they go. Then you are not at work worried about them.

Others will have some good advise.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Tanya is offline Senior Member

how long ago was the wall chewing? if it has been awhile you may want to "try" them outside the crate again for a test run, but not a full day (start with smaller periods).

but if they cause destruction when uncrated (and they are young, so it is highly likely) then your options are limited, as the crate is as much for THEIR safety as the safety of your "stuff":
    - get huge crates so they at least have some room
    - have a neighbour or hire a dog walker (or friend/family) come by in the middle of the day to give the dogs a break
    - go home at lunch to give them a break

in a little while they may become trustworthy uncrated but that may be awhile.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the advice.

Yes, the wall chewing was a year ago and of course they are much well behaved. I think it will take some work, but after some time I think they will do fine by themselves. I just don't want to come home and see the with a belly full of dry wall. I am sure it can't be healthy, I could honestly care less about my stuff as long as they are ok. They do have very ample crates, and I was actually thinking about going up a size anyways, but I will wait and see.

Sadly, I do not get a lunch break and am new to the area and do not know/trust anyone yet with my dogs. I will look into that though. Again thanks.

deidra is offline Senior Member

I don't knwo were your from but maybe this will help Find a Dog Walker | Dog Walking Services | Professional Dog Walkers. I am a dog walker and I walk dogs for people who are working late or going on vacation and I have a blast meeting new dogs! I would try it out and see what happens. What breeds do you have? I know a lab and they love food so put panut putter in a kong and maybe hide some treats around in the room to keep him busy.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

I got a lab, and like you said loves treats. I also have a Australian Shepherd or Border Collie mix, I honestly do not know which one.

deidra is offline Senior Member

Maybe some of these things will give you Ideas.
    What is the best way to keep your dog busy while not there?

Could you hide treats around the room?
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Sadly no, more rooms are pretty empty. I do however have a puzzle ball they both love to death. I do not have a "Kong" but I have a Petstages thing that works just as well. I will try this in the next few days for a few hours and let you guys know.

MandyGirl is offline Member

I'm not sure what the petstages thing is, but if it's like a Kong you can get all sorts of stuff shoved in there. We used to fill ours with peanut butter; water, food/treats and she would much on them happily.

I'm sure your pups are fine with being crated; it sounds like you give them loads of attention when you get home.

Are they crated at night? That might be a way of giving the, a little more freedom. If you just closed your bedroom door. You should be able to hear if they are getting into too much trouble. Unless of course you sleep like my husband.

Melissa; mommy to Mitchell and fur baby Mandy