Miracle or Poor Diagnosis?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miracle or Poor Diagnosis?

nmhmadison is offline Member

DefaultMiracle or Poor Diagnosis?

Marley our 11 year old Lab could not keep any food down for about 5 days. Accidents too and odd behavior. Off to vet we go. She had a temp and infection in ears. She lost 8 pounds. and was unhappy.

Severe jaundice and vet suspected the worst pending blood and ultra sound. Blood work revealed liver failure along with high kidney counts. Something like 15 on a 1 to 15 scale. X rays showed nothing. We had to wait a day for the ultrasound and was told to prepare for the worst outcome. They put her on IV and kept her for two days. Diagnosis was possible that she has a bad infection but blood was so bad they suspected to find blockage in liver and most likely disease with ultrasound.

Ultrasound was completed and they saw nothing abnormal. All organs looked good and they were stumped. Our Rollercoaster ride continues. So we went home to try Clavamox along with Denasyl for liver aid and getting her to eat anything we could. We tried all tricks and she first ate nothing. Finally started to eat little by little. Now eating Purina Vet kidney can food as she normally eats. She still will not touch her High quality organic kibble. Since home, she has no issues with keeping food down. poops are regular but she is not drinking a lot. otherwise normal and taking walks.

Blood test yesterday showed completely normal counts in all areas. They suspect some really bad infection was present but don't know what. They were very surprised by results. They want to test her blood again in a week or so to make sure and they want us to continue the Clavamox 500 mg 2X daily and go from there. So. Has anybody heard of similar story. We were told less than a 10% chance she would be going home at first. Ugh.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

Do you think the lab might have sent someone else's results to your vet? Mix ups happen every day sometimes with disastrous consequences.

Fantastic that she's recovered though. Keep us posted re the next set of results. Lets hope they're equally as promising.

And after having lost my last 2 beautiful dogs to cancer, NO I don't believe in miracles sorry.
    Last edited by Garth; 07-02-2011 at 10:49 AM.

Thanks. I'm still uneasy but she is acting healthier.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

I've had it happen to me. I had my heart dog Kelly die of renal failure. It devastated me. About a year later her daughter Robin was off and so I did a blood test to check her system. Imagine my shock when it showed she was in acute renal failure. I told my vet I couldn't go through that again. I was ready to put Robin down, I just couldn't watch a beloved dog go through that again. He suggested we give it a week of meds and prescription food. So I took her home with me against my better judgement. The next day my vet called to tell me he had gotten a call from the lab. The blood tested wasn't Robin's. She didn't have acute renal failure, hers was in fact perfect. I was almost catatonic realizing I had almost put Kelly's daughter down thinking she too had renal failure.

Moral of the story ALWAYS get a second opinion/test. Mistakes happen.

Laura

brody is offline Senior Member

and kidney function is not regenerative but a toxic bite of something can throw blood values off - while liver can be regenerated - and does quite often if it can

glad she's turned around some - hope you have many more lovely years to wonder what happened!
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

DefaultNot drinking

She is eating but not drinking? any ideas?

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Given that she had physical signs of liver dysfunction (jaundice, inappetance, fever, just not doing right in general) I'd be inclined to believe the bloodwork - and that you have a very lucky dog on your hands! So glad to hear she's looking better!

Just curious, what part of the country are you in?

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

We are located in Chicagoland.

Still not drinking water. Had subcutaneos injection Thursday but I suspect only very short term. Not comfortable with this as it is also hot. Her food now is Purina Vet Kidney NF. Water content high but certainly not enough water. She will not drink.

MandyGirl is offline Member

Can you add water to her wet food? We only feed dry and will add water occasionally.

Have you tried a different water bowl? raising it up?

I hope she keeps improving. Stay cool!

Melissa; mommy to Mitchell and fur baby Mandy

sarah is offline Senior Member

my fingers are crossed that she improves soon and starts getting some hydration.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast