Loss of appetite- help!

Thread: Loss of appetite- help!

mom2charliebrown is offline Junior Member

DefaultLoss of appetite- help!

My 3 year old lab Charlie had no interest in his food this morning. Then he had audible gas, but otherwise seemed ok. Later in the morning I set his dish down again, but he still was not interested. This is a dog who usually scarfs his food down with much enthusiasm!

I am going to try again this evening (he usually gets fed twice a day), but if he doesn't eat again I might try to take him to the vet in the morning. I hate to take him to the vet for something minor, but he has never had this issue before.

Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bprevost is offline Junior Member

If it were me I'd probably contact the vet. Did you try giving him a treat to see if he'd eat that? Such a radical change in appetite is a real concern. Could he have eaten something unusual..garbage, etc.? The thing is if you wait until tonight and he gets worse and your vets closed then your stuck until morning. Call the vet.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Dogs get stomach upsets just like people. Has he thrown up? Is he able to poop?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

I would try a new bag of food, sometimes they go bad. We just recently had this happen; Bauer would sniff his food, but wouldn't eat it (also not like him at all). Nothing else seemed out of the ordinary so I bought a new bag of food and all was right in the world again.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

mom2charliebrown is offline Junior Member

He pooped like normal, and happily scarfed down his treat when he went in his crate. He's never had an issue with the "quality" of his food before, we feed him Blue Buffalo, but maybe I'll get a new bag on the way home and see if that makes him more interested. He has had stomach bugs with diarrhea and vomiting before, but he had none of that today. Just really weird!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

If it continues beyond today I'd get him checked, but you can also give him a Pepcid and see if that helps.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

I would get a new bag, and if he still won't eat definitely get him checked.

Before our episode a couple of weeks ago, we had never a problem with the quality of his food either. It was just a freak thing. He would scarf down anything else I gave him, but would only sniff his kibble and walk away. I hope it's just the food. Good thoughts that he is eating normally again soon.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

pocampo is offline Junior Member

My 3 1/2-year-old chocolate just did this exact same thing: turns out, he was full of parasites ... Dogs parks, alas, while fun, are nasty places! Take him in for a fecal exam.

nmhmadison is offline Member

Have had this happen twice with Marley. I agree with other posts. If a new bag of same food is not working best to go to vet. We did 10 mg pepcid and boiled chicken and rice worked once and it passed after 2 days and she ate her food again. However, if he will not eat and has issues like a lot of drinking water, get test done. Our Marley does not handle Cephalexan (antibiotic) well but ok with Clavamox. Some meds can make him have issues at first too. Good luck.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Give him plain yogurt. Yogurt is good for the digestion. We give ours a good size spoonfull everyday. Our 11 week old was eating the same puppy formula as the breeder had given them. She just upped and decided not to eat it a couple of days ago. We bought a bag of Iams and she loves it. You can try enticing your dog with a spoon full of canned food mixed with the dry. If he still won't eat, then I'd be worried. Does he eat his treats?