UTI in puppy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UTI in puppy.

Alaskalab is offline Senior Member

DefaultUTI in puppy.

Anyone have any experience with an UTI in a puppy? Abbey is 6 months old and I noticed yesterday she wasn't quite herself. She didn't want to eat breakfast and was pretty lazy all day. She ate last night, but didn't really want to play afterwards. And then this morning, she went out to potty and tried to pee a dozen times. She came in and 1/2 hour later basically peed all over herself. She was kind of grunting like she was having tummy cramps. Her stools are fine and she is drinking water. We have a vet appt at 2:30pm, but is this what it sounds like? I haven't had this experience yet in all my years with dogs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CindersMyGirl is offline Senior Member

My puppy was prone to UTIs and we later found out she had an inverted vulva. I would ask about her vulva specifically. It's recommended they don't get spayed until after their first heat to allow the vulva to 'pop' into place on it's own. It may have nothing to do with that, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

I've never experienced any kind of grunting when Cinder has had UTIs though. Did she just try to pee or did she pee? If she was trying and couldn't go while grunting I would be concerned about a blockage of some kind. I know nothing, that's just what I would ask about.

She didn't appear to actually be trying to pee it was more of cramps or something. And she actually did pee although I don't think she intended to. She looked so embarrassed afterwards for peeing in the house. Poor thing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yep, she has an "innie". We were going to wait until she was older to have her spayed anyway. I have been listening to what a lot of people here are saying about the growth plates. Thank you all. I hope it is only a uti. Vet at 2:30 so we will see.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskalab View Post
    Yep, she has an "innie". We were going to wait until she was older to have her spayed anyway. I have been listening to what a lot of people here are saying about the growth plates. Thank you all. I hope it is only a uti. Vet at 2:30 so we will see.
    With "innies" it is sometimes helpful to wipe her after she pees. Baby wipes work.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

The vet confirmed a uti and put her on Cephalexin. She has a bit of an upset stomach but I noticed her neck lymph nodes are swollen. From the infection or antibiotics? Of course the vet clinic is closed until Tuesday!

So, my poor little girl. I took her to the emergency vet on Sunday. She had a fever of 104.4, swollen lymph nodes, sore tummy and joints. She stayed for fluids and came home Monday afternoon. The vet put her on Amoxicillin, Doxycylene, and Prednisone. She does have a uti, but of course, they have no idea what the rest is about. She sent of a titter for lyme and lepto and a cytology on her lymph nodes. So far her fever has remained normal and her lymph nodes have stayed down. She is eating and drinking well, but has no interest in doing anything but sleeping. Do the drugs make her extra lethargic as I am sure fighting whatever ails her is a pretty big drain?

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

I hope she gets better soon.

deidra is offline Senior Member

Hope she gets better soon.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast