Vaccination

Thread: Vaccination

vamsi is offline Member

ExclamationVaccination

Hello everyone,
    Simba will 3 month old by july 2nd and he is done with deworming and some vaccination called seven in one.Vet suggested me to get the rabies vaccination done once he is 16 weeks old,does this period really matters for the vaccination to get done?
    And i always keeps playing with my puppy most of the time and it keeps licking my hands,legs and face...i wash myself cleanly as soon as i leave him in crate,my elder sister is a medical student and she keeps telling me to be carefull as dogs saliva contains lots of infections and my body is not immune to it as m not used to dogs so much before ,so do i need to bother about any infections or take any preventions? Is there any need that evn i need to take any vaccination to avoid infections?
    And do i need to ask anything to the vet regarding these things for my next visit to vet?

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Dogs saliva is (in my opinion) much safer than human saliva. You vaccinate a dog to prevent them from contracting disease - some of which can be transmitted to people (like rabies if your dog was rabid and bit you). You don't need to be vaccinated for any of the things your dog is being vaccinated for.

And I would NEVER give a dog a seven vax combo. That's an awful assault to their system.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

We gave Sophie 5-way vaccine. She has had 2 and will have her 3rd in about a week. I was told to do rabies and a parvo at 4 months. As far as catching stuff from your dog...not likely. We can't catch destimper etc. They would be more likely to contract something from us.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

vamsi is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    And I would NEVER give a dog a seven vax combo. That's an awful assault to their system.
    That was advised by the vet

Though i am aware that the dogs should not be given frequent baths as it washes away the essential oils from its skin i had to forcefully clean simba regularly as it gets dirty in 4-5 days after i give him bath and starts stinking if i prolong the bath for 10 days.
    The main thing that concerns me is that it pees and lies in it if not noticed
    Mostly i try to clean it off but if i dont notice then it ends up with the above case.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Are you keeping your dog in a crate? Is he soiling the crate? Is it big enough? He might me getting in his own excrement and that is why he is smelling. We got Sophie a month ago and didn't bathe her for the first time till yesterday, and even then she didn't smell. She has always been silky soft and not stinky. She isn't a crated dog. She sleeps between me and my husband. He takes her outside at 5 am and then she goes back to sleep till about 9 (good dog!) She stays so clean. Now that she is playing in the backyard more and trying to dig a hole to China, we gave her a bath. Sophie is 11 weeks old today.

vamsi is offline Member

yea the crate is big enough but mostly m not putting him in crate as he is not used to it ..only if am very busy with my work i prefer to keep him in crate.He doesnt excrete in the crate(very rarely he does)...he keeps doing adventures all the day in all the possible ways and he wakes up even for a small sounds so he doesnt sleep for long times in the day time.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I have not bathed my Labs in a long time - at least 18 months for my younger dog and longer than that for the older one. Just rinsing them off is usually adequate. Using soap/shampoo on your dog regularly can buy you some skin issues and generally ruins a Labs coat.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

I saw that your located in India, because of where you live there may be different ideas about dog ownership. Vaccination are to prevent your dog from catching dog diseases, these are not a problem for humans. We can however get worms from the dog so a good dewormer from the vet will keep you healthy too. I like to keep my dogs on heartgaurd because I have small children and I want to protect them from hookworm.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I have never heard of "catching" anything from a dog. though most people do not encourage licking (particularly the face) that is not because of fear of "catching" something.

The more you give him baths, teh more he will stink. by washing away his oils you remove his fur and skin's protection, which leads to him being stinky. If he hasn't rolled in anything stinky he should not stink, if he does, it may be a diet issue.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

vamsi is offline Member

ok i will try not giving him bath for a couple of weeks and gradually for a month and so on