Keeping Her Alive

Thread: Keeping Her Alive

TinPan76 is offline Junior Member

DefaultKeeping Her Alive

Hello all, as some of you may know my wife and I lossed one of our 2 labs to cancer this past monday, Ginger passed and we will miss her dearly. But we still have Candie who is older then Ginger was, Candie is 11 and we want to make sure she is with us as long as God feels fit. She is happy and seems healthy, we keep up with vet visits, is there any advice we can use to insure Candies long life? Best Food? Best treats? Toy's that wont hurt her? Her whole life we have fed her & Gin Iams Large Breed, but Im finding out that that is not the best by todays standards, we wanted to switch to Iams Senior but our store does not carry it. But again Im hearing that Iams is no longer the best. Any advice? Be aware we are also looking to get a new pup, not to replace Ginger but to fill the void in our hearts. Hopefuly Candie will accept the puppy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Others with more knowledge will step in here.

I just wanted to say for me the most important thing after food, bedding etc is just enjoying your dog. Live each day as if it is your last and treasure each moment. When Kassa was sick with cancer I spent weeks looking for a miracle. I was so engrossed I didn't see the miracle there in front of me. We played, did her favourite things, cuddled, and I think this mentally helped her fight it as long as she could.

I have a 9 year old and it was a big decision to bring another Lab into the house. For years I wanted a puppy, but couldn't as it would have been too hard on him as he has joint issues and a pup would be to much. Tessa the new dog isn't active and it is nice to see them curl up together.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

deidra is offline Senior Member

I knwo ti si kind of late but i agree live every moment like tommrow could be the last day. When my dog went missing I was so devastated. The day before I got made at him and made him go into the crate for a while just because he tore a shirt in half. I was thinking is he going to remmebmer me byt the person who put him in a crate for half an hr?! When I got the news my cousin found him I was crying happy tears. What ever ahs been keeping her healthy keep her on that food. SOme dogs do better on it then others. Before you get a new puppy take her around puppys and see what she does. Or even younger dogs. Just cuddle with her and play with her and that is all she will need well besides the basics.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bearsdad is offline Senior Member

Honestly, In my opinion I would just leave your senior girls food alone .. A new pup would be a good place to try a better quality food. If your girl is doing good on a food, ie nice coat, solid poop, etc I just dont think its worth the change.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bearsdad View Post
    Honestly, In my opinion I would just leave your senior girls food alone .. A new pup would be a good place to try a better quality food. If your girl is doing good on a food, ie nice coat, solid poop, etc I just dont think its worth the change.
    I was just going to say that. If Candie is doing well, I would just keep her on her food. We have had to help two of our labs cross the bridge, all of us know you can never replace them, but our labs would not want us to be sad. Our hearts just get bigger to love another. Ginger will always be in your heart.