Hurt foot - what else to do?

Thread: Hurt foot - what else to do?

QuestionHurt foot - what else to do?

So, Louie and I were walking and he appeared to step on the edge of a large stick with his left front leg. He immediately began limping, not putting weight on the leg and sat down and starting licking the pad area of the foot. I called a relative and got a ride as we were more than 1/2 mile from home. I checked the foot further when we got home, I didn't see any blood or anything sticking in the pad or any scrapes.

I called the vet and they said to keep an eye on it for the next couple of days, don't walk him, and see if it starts getting any better and if he starts putting weight on it. So, my question is there anything else I can do in the mean time to see if anything is stuck in the foot/pad? He keeps licking at it and holds it off the ground when laying down. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Maybe he just "poked" it, and, speaking from experience, that hurts like h-e-double toothpicks. Maybe soaking his paw in a pan of warm water will make him feel better. I'd let Louie decide when he's ready to walk around, etc, too.

Thanks for the suggestion. I might try a warm wet cloth instead. He might view the pan of water as a bath. He does NOT like baths!

In the mean time, I gave him a peanut butter kong (probably to make me feel better!).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Can you squeeze the paw/toes and what sort of reaction does he give? Epsom salts can ease pain and help also (if you do not want to or can not soak the paw, soak the wash cloth in a dilution of epsome salts adn wrap/hold the paw with it.

p.s. I love your "handle!" Louie Leave It!!!
    Last edited by Belles mom; 06-27-2011 at 08:51 PM.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Judging by the way he's acting this morning, I'd say he just "bruised" his foot. He's not really showing any favoritism on that paw at all. This was his second day in a row with an issue with a stick. On Sunday, I was grilling and he was chewing on a stick. It broke and got wedged between his teeth on his upper jaw. He was flailing around until I was able to pull it out.

As far as my "handle", It was an easy name to come up with. I say it enough, that we both think it's our name!

labby is offline Senior Member

I'd soak it in epsom salts. If there is a sliver in there it will bring it to the surface.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    I'd soak it in epsom salts. If there is a sliver in there it will bring it to the surface.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've got to run to the store anyway, so I'll pick some up. How long should I soak it for? How many times/days?