What do we do now? Ginger follow up
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do we do now? Ginger follow up

TinPan76 is offline Junior Member

DefaultWhat do we do now? Ginger follow up

Please read my other post before answering this one. Well, last night Ginger had a mild seizure and she is listless and at times seem's to be staring into space. Are these signs that it's time to go? She is not crying or showing pain but she may be in pain and we just cant tell. She is lagging behind during walks usualy she leads the way, she seems more chipper in the mornings but then so am I. We are not experienced in this phase of a dogs life, has anyone been through the before? What are the tell tail signs that we should not wait any longer?
    Don
    Last edited by TinPan76; 06-26-2011 at 08:03 AM. Reason: add comment

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

This is amazing hard for one person to tell another, especially when the other does not know the dog.

Are you asking because you think you know the answer, but don't want to let her go? This is the hardest decision to make, but we make it to prevent the dog from suffering.

Do her ears perk when she sees you, or does her tail wag when she sees you, even if she doesn't get up?
    Were walks something she got excited about before, do you see any sign of that excitement when you get ready to do it now (Ears and tail for indicators)?
    Does she spend most of her time going off by herself, staring into the unknown?

Only you know your dog, maybe your vet can give you a reading on her state.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by HersheyK's Dad View Post
    This is amazing hard for one person to tell another, especially when the other does not know the dog.

Are you asking because you think you know the answer, but don't want to let her go? This is the hardest decision to make, but we make it to prevent the dog from suffering. Yes, we know she has cancer and we dont want her to suffer, yet we dont want to let her go either

Do her ears perk when she sees you, or does her tail wag when she sees you, even if she doesn't get up?the perks are becoming further inbetween, she just now came in the room and came over to say hello but no wag
    Were walks something she got excited about before, do you see any sign of that excitement when you get ready to do it now (Ears and tail for indicators)? Yes but not like she use to just weeks ago.
    Does she spend most of her time going off by herself, staring into the unknown? No but she has been looking for place's (she normaly would not go) to hide. (the vet has already told us this is normal when they are sick)

Only you know your dog, maybe your vet can give you a reading on her state.
    Yes we intend to call the vet tomorrow. Thank you for your input and by the way we have a 2ed chocolate lab and her name is Candie Kiss's, thought you would like to know since you have a kiss's also!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

You need to listen to her, be ready to listen and not be selfish.

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kiddsmom View Post
    This.

Also, this article, written by a vet, might help with your decision.
    MAKING THE DIFFICULT DECISION

Laura

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I don't believe that our dogs see things the same way as we humans do. I feel it's in their best interest to do what is right for them at the time. I'd much rather err on the early side of putting them to sleep if I felt the quality of life had disintegrated too far to be reversed. You need to follow your heart, and be at peace with that though. I've never regretted helping my dogs to the bridge when they needed it.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

lisa is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kiddsmom View Post
    Agree, prayers with you, your family and Ginger.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I do think they let us know. Ginger knows she is loved. It is the hardest decision to make but we do it because we love them. When we took Molly to the vet last month, we were with her till the end & I felt better knowing the last words she heard were "I love you, Molly."
    We never have them long enough. I did not want her to suffer. I knew her quality of life would n ot be good. I did not want that for her.

I hope you find peace also. You will know when it's time. Ginger will let you know. Good thoughts to your family & other lab & hugs to Ginger.

Thank you everyone for your support, advice and prayers. We lost Ginger yesterday aprox 1:35 pm NY time, at the vet hospital. We are picking up her ash's today. We are happy she is no longer in pain and will miss her dearly, we have never known a happier dog, as sick as she was she still was wagging tail even as we got to the vet, until she seen my wife and I balling then she knew something was wrong. I stayed with her while the vet sedated her but couldnt' stand to watch her die while my wife was alone and crying in the waiting area. Bev couldnt' bear being in the room. I would like to post a pic for you all but dont know how, or a profile pic.
    Thanks again!

BucksMom is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Run free sweet Ginger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast