When the end is near
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When the end is near

TinPan76 is offline Junior Member

DefaultWhen the end is near

Hello, we (my wife and I) have 2 wonderful female chocolate labs, Candie 11yo and Ginger 10yo. Up until about march they were both happy and full of life but then Ginger started throwing up several times a day, the vet did blood work and an x-ray and found nothing so she said it could be acid reflux and she gave us some meds. I worked at first and Gin was her old self again. Then all of a sudden in late may it started again, more blood work and another x ray, this time the x ray showed some what the vet calls "mass's". Now keep in mind we are poor people on a fixed income and this is killing our bank account. Now the vet gave Gin some steroyds and once again she seemed to get better until last week when Ginger started having seizures. The vet now takes her off the royds and the throwing up returns, the vet wants to do a sonogram to see if the mass's are cancer that will be today. Our problem is we are poor and the somogram is taking all the money we have for the month, if it is cancer we cant see letting her suffer but we will not have the funds left to put her to sleep, and to make matters worse we would want to keep her ash's. What can we do??? Now problem number 2, My wife has said if it is Gingers time she wants to adopt another lab puppy. Is it too soon? And how would our other loder lab take it? First not having GinGin around anymore then a stranger moving in. Candie is 11 years old and only God knows how much longer she has. I heard labs only last 10 to 12 years, some 14 to 15. I dont think a puppy is a good idea for Candie's sake. What do you think. Lastly this is taking it's toll on us all, my wife and I are in tears thinking this is the end for Ginger, Please pray with us that todays sonogram will come back with something that can be fixed. We love them both so much and it's not so much that Gin may not live but the fact that we may have to force the issue. This is the hardest thing I have ever faced, My wife has been through it before, loosing her Mom to cancer and having to put her dog down on the very same day her Mother passed. I now know how she must have felt, I hope I get over it as well as she did.
    Thanks for listening, any advice and prayers are welcome!
    TinPan

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

Thanks for listening, any advice and prayers are welcome!
    Don,
    You and yours have my prayers and good thoughts.
    I will hold off on "any advice" (my ideas and 'take' on your situation with Ginger, for what they are worth) until you relate what Ginger's exam found today and what your vet's prognosis is. And also to give my mind more time to think about your post.

I and my husband are also retired and on limited income, so I completely understand your situation - both the financial and emotional aspects.

In the meantime, hang in there. As long as Ginger appears to be somewhat comfortable there is no need to rush any decisions, especially since you do not have the 'full medical picture' yet.

Judy
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

So sorry to see you and your wife going through this painful time. They (our labs) are the loves of our lives!
    I will hope for the best from your vet.....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

I am sorry that you and your family are going through this rough time...please know my thoughts and prayers are will all of you. Wait and see what the vet says today, and go from there. As long as your girl seems to be comfortable, there is no need to rush to make any decisions. Please keep us posted, I'll be praying for your girl.

Thank you Judy, I love the photo and "if there are no dogs in heaven", I fully believe I will see all my childhood friends when I get there. The vet should call soon.

Thank you everyone, we are waiting for the vet to call, she is calling us so we can meet at her office at the same time so that Ginger wont have to wait in a cage.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Prayers from here.

DefaultThank you everyone

Thank you to everyone who repsonded, the news is cancer and she is not eating and getting weaker, if we find the funds she will be put down tomorrow.

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

I just wanted to say that as a dog owner, making these decisions is always the hardest, and when finances come into play, it just adds to the guilt that you already face when you have to be the one that decides the next step/move. We had a lab with lymphoma - we made the choice not to put her through chemo etc. partly because we couldn't have afforded it, and mostly because it wasn't a cure. We would have been buying time. If you did decide to treat Gin, would it cure her, or just buy her time? I think that you are making the right decision for what it's worth. It's obvious you love your dogs, and are agonized over this situation. Gin and Candie are lucky to have such loving and caring owners. For what it's worth, I always ask my dogs to give me a sign that they've had enough, that they need help to let go. They've never let me down.

I will keep you and your family in my thoughts tomorrow. Keep us posted. We've all been there, and can empathize.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

Oh Don, I am so sorry for the bad news and especially that Ginger is getting weaker and still can't eat. That is so sad....and you are having to face this 'head on' and do the one last kindest, yet hardest, thing you will ever do for Ginger - to help her to The Rainbow Bridge with the least pain and most dignity possible for her.

My heart goes out to you, your wife, Candie, and especially Ginger.

Godspeed Precious Ginger.

If It Should Be

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
    An pain should keep me from my sleep
    Then you must do what must be done
    For this, the last battle, cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand
    Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
    For this day, more than the rest
    Your love and friendship stand the test.

We've had so many happy years
    What is to come can hold no fears
    Would not want me to suffer so
    When the time comes please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend
    Only, stay with me to the end
    And hold me firm and speak to me
    Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will see
    It is a kindness you do to me
    Although my tail its last has waved
    From pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve it should be you
    Who has to decide this thing to do
    We've been so close we two these years
    Don't let your heart hold any tears.

So I am glad, not that she's gone
    But that this earth she roamed and lived upon
    Was my earth, too, that I had closely known
    And loved her and that my love I'd shown.

Tears over her departure?
    Nay - a smile
    That I had walked with her a little while.

Author - Julia Napier
    copyright 1999
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast