eating soil?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eating soil?

suzieQ is offline Member

Defaulteating soil?

Hi all

My 12 yr old male can often be found digging at patches of earth and munching on exposed soil. Then the other day we were out for a walk and he found some chalk dust at the ball diamonds (the kind they use to mark the baselines) and he tried to eat that.
    Any idea if there's a mineral he might be lacking that would cause this behaviour?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BucksMom is offline Senior Member

I'll be watching your thread for replies. I too am having a problem only my almost 10 year old male has taken to eating potting soil all of a sudden.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

is this new behavior?

My 7 year old has been eating dirt and poop non stop for many years now (started around 3-4). I've changed foods twice in that time adn saw no impact. Someone at the park said they knew someone that had sucess by adding tripe to their dog's food but who knows.

Rocky "eats" holes instead of digging them. and he doesn't just eat poop when he bored, he goes out and searches for them at the park (his only pastime) and will even stop mid-fetch to go grab a bite!!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

For my boy it is totally new this year, he's never touched my potted plants before. EWWWWWW rocky!!!!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Yes, definately ewww Rocky. The behavior is at odds with the rest of his personality (Laid back, stoic).

Strange that it started later in life - one would think that is more likely to be diet related. no idea though.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

deidra is offline Senior Member

I have no idea. Maybe you could call the vet and see what they say.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

bett is offline Senior Member

i believe i once read something relating to dogs who eat soil having "low anemia" but i would research this further.

I did google it, and i didn't like what i was reading, the "C" word came up in plenty of articles. For me, i just try to keep catching him in the act, then saying "what did you do"? in a very sturn voice, then he cowers away to the other side of the yard.

rpost7786 is offline Senior Member

I heard from someone that doggies eat poop b/c some treats that they eat arent fully digested so naturally dogs smell it and wanna eat it... YUCK!!!! Avery tries to eat poop too. The other day we went to "the orchards" by us and I left him sniff around for 5 minutes after our walk and sure enough he found another dog's poop. I can't stand that owners don't clean up after their dogs, it would make my life alot easier!!!
    Rachel, Keith, Scarlett & Avery = One happy little Family

"A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?"- John Grogan

suzieQ is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by BucksMom View Post
    I did google it, and i didn't like what i was reading, the "C" word came up in plenty of articles. For me, i just try to keep catching him in the act, then saying "what did you do"? in a very sturn voice, then he cowers away to the other side of the yard.
    Hmmm interesting. He 90% surely does have cancer. He always ate deer poop but never dog. And he and his pup love a bite of coyote poop. I'm not too worried about that. The soil eating is relatively new behavior. I'll try calling the vet for info I just tried here first because I just called her yesterday about his health but forgot to ask this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast