Need advice, suggestions, BTDT experiences

Thread: Need advice, suggestions, BTDT experiences

chocoholic is offline Junior Member

DefaultNeed advice, suggestions, BTDT experiences

We have a 9 year old male chocolate lab. He developed a tumour on his hind leg in the fall which we had removed after Christmas and found it was a nerve sheath sarcoma. Within a month a new one started growing back, which ended up growing around the nerve/tendon in his leg. Best option was to amputate his leg, which happened just recently. Any advice on how to promote his recovery? He's doing amazingly well so far, despite some minor setbacks.

Also have been wondering about diet. We suspected a food allergy and he was put on a prescription diet Hills z/d ultra. So it's a hydrolized protein food - and essentially there should be nothing to react to, but his symptoms persist. He has dry, flaky skin. An abundance of buildup in his ears and a red rashy look to his belly all the time. His coat is extremely dry and he sheds like mad. At $100/bag (which lasts less than a month), we are looking for something more economical that will help skin/coat as well as promote joint health (since we really need his good leg to hold up!).

Thanks ahead for all input you can provide.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry for what you are going through with him! Poor guy and poor you.

On the skin issues. Have you seen a dermatologist? I would have a skin scraping done - if it is not an allergy you can feed him the prescription for weeks/months and not get resolution. I'd look into that if I was you.

You may want to PM YellowJakesMom - she's a vet and will have a more informed point of view than most of us.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

dogmom is offline Senior Member

I also have a rear leg tripod, a female GSD. She had some problems initially, has some front end problems but is living a good life now. Swimming is a great rehab tool as well as cold laser therapy and acupunture. Ali didn't care for the swimming at first and she has become quite the water dog. Water is a the great equalizer, she can keep up with the boys in water.

I work with a Veterinary Dermatologist and would strongly recommend a visit to one in your area. I have seen her work miracles with allergy dogs. First is to discover if you are dealing with food, environmental or contact allergies. The treatment is often nearly the same but it truly does help to know what it causes the reactions.

Good luck with your guy, tripods can and do live full, happy lives.
    Last edited by dogmom; 06-16-2011 at 10:56 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ella1985 is offline Banned

Great to read about other experience!

Garth is offline Registered Users

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

So sorry to hear about your dog's cancer.

Please, please, please see an oncologist. They will set you up with a dietician, and they will more than likely recommend a low-carb diet. The benefit of these diets is that they usually are wonderful for allergic dogs.

I have a 10 year old boy with a smooth muscle sarcoma who has done wonderfully with his diet, and the benefit is that he is no longer allergic.

But please get your dog off the Science Diet/ Hills diet CRAP. there's very little beneficial nutrients in there. Try something low-carb instead.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Thank you for all of the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvmydog2much View Post
    So sorry to hear about your dog's cancer.

Please, please, please see an oncologist. They will set you up with a dietician, and they will more than likely recommend a low-carb diet. The benefit of these diets is that they usually are wonderful for allergic dogs.

I have a 10 year old boy with a smooth muscle sarcoma who has done wonderfully with his diet, and the benefit is that he is no longer allergic.

But please get your dog off the Science Diet/ Hills diet CRAP. there's very little beneficial nutrients in there. Try something low-carb instead.
    We can't afford an oncologist at this time. In the past 18 months we've spent $7500 on vet bills. The closest oncology vet to us is a 2hr drive away, plus it is $250 just to have a consult there. We explored this option prior to the surgery.

As for the diet, I didn't realize that the prescription diets were no good. We put our faith in the vet and followed his advice on that for the z/d ultra food. I will research other low-carb dog foods. Can you recommend a particular one ?

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I am sorry you have had to deall with the cancer beast.

Prescription food is expensive and I have found it doesn't always work.Erns is an allergy dog and the Hills ZD didn't do anything for him, so not all foods suit each dog. I started raw/home cooked and he did well until he was diagnosed with Crohns so now on Roral Canin prescription ($50 per week)and stable for now.

I adopted Tessa last week and she has skin and ear problems so have ear drops and shampoo to try and get it settled.

Good luck.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

Check out this food - Canine Caviar Home. Bean's been doing well on it, and the company says it's used as an alternative to some prescription diets. They have dry, canned, frozen, and snacks. Price is OK for the dry-I just got a 14 lb bag for $35.
    The company is also very active (according to their site) with cancer research.
    Last edited by SharonaZamboni; 06-22-2011 at 08:32 AM.

After doing some research and finding what is easily available to us in our small town, we are in the process of switching him to Orijen 6 fish. After the first day with 25% new food, the gas was horrendous, but it is much better now (still at 25%). He's getting around very well. He had a lot of swelling and fluid in his stump so he's still got some sutures there and will have those removed this week. Thanks for the information and resources.