TPLO surgery scheduled
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TPLO surgery scheduled

BlkLabLuv is offline Member

DefaultTPLO surgery scheduled

I had my appointment with the surgeon today and have scheduled the TPLO procedure for Tuesday the 21st. I managed to save a good chunk of the cost and along with a little help from Carecredit, I am able to cover the cost. The surgeonsí name is Dr. J T Vita DVM, DACVS. Heís a younger guy, graduated here locally from University of California Davis which is a highly regarded veterinary school here in CA (he teaches their as well). Everything Iíve read about him is positive. The appointment today went just about as I thought it would. He brought up and discussed all the thinks Iíve been reading about. I had a list of questions I was going to ask but it covered them all before I could ask which I thought was a cool thing. Iím going camping this weekend till Monday and I am only bringing Sara Ann (my other Lab) with me. There are just too many things their to entice Maggie Mae and maybe injury herself more. She would also be limping really bad by day one. Also, the friend Iím going with is going to take Sara Ann home with him for a week or two so Maggie can heal a bit. Well, I hope all goes well and I am hopeful that I will be able to keep her calm for recovery. I want to say thanks to all here and this site for the great info and support!

Ciao for now!
    Bob

Maggie Mae and Sara Ann

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Best of luck with the surgery...I'm sure Maggie will do great.
    Honestly, the hardest part is waiting for surgery day to get here and be over with.
    After that, even though it's not easy, at least you know you're on the road to recovery!!
    Keep us updated!!

Also, just thought I'd mention...if you have Maggie on any supplements, now is the time to stop them before surgery. She shouldn't be on anything prior to surgery...some can cause complications. So, if she is, stop them now and resume them about a week after surgery.

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Good luck with the surgery - let us know how she does!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

Hope all goes well!

iAmTerri is offline Junior Member

Hello! I'm new to the forum but my lab Geena also underwent a TPLO late last year. The surgery and rehab
    period went well and she is now back to her old self. I wish your dog well. If you have any questions on my
    experience and also of the rehabilitation please do tell me. Rehab is very important to help your dog regain full use of the affected limb. At first it will be quite difficult especially if you are not sure if what you are doing is correct.

Good luck!

MandyGirl is offline Member

How did Maggie's surgery go? My Mandy just had tight rope on the 22nd.

I hope she is resting comfortably at home with you.

Melissa; mommy to Mitchell and fur baby Mandy

BlkLabLuv is offline Member

Well, I thought Iíd give an update on Maggie. Today is day 10 and the last day of the antibiotics and she is doing well. As with most everyone else the first 3 or so days were a little ruff but not as bad as Iíve heard of. She had a sneezing issue that was making it hard to sleep at night (hard on all of usÖlol) They initially thought that it was due to the fact that she had vomited after surgery and thought that some had gone up her nose and irritated it. But after a couple of days of that I called them back and was given an additional antibiotic specifically for sinus infections which seems to have taken care of it. She still has 5 or 6 days of those to take. The stitches will come out on Tuesday the 5th.. I have managed to keep her from licking them and they are looking great. I soo canít wait until I can put the cone head away. It has taken her this long to get close to her usual self. She is normally a ball fetching FREAK! Day 8 was the first time she even picked up a ball (found it under the couch) and brought it to me. Of course I took it from her and put it away :tinfoil : ( but I saw that as a good sign. Then, yesterday she wanted to chase Sara (my other Lab) around. Again, good sign. It is making it a little more challenging to keep her from hurting herself. I am still keeping her in the ex pen when Iím not home or she gets too excited or else I keep the leash on her and let her sit around with me. Well thatís where we are and again thanks to ALL for the advice and support

Maggie Mae and Sara Ann

MandyGirl is offline Member

I'm glad to hear that Maggie is doing well. Good luck with the suture removal on Tuesday.

The cone is the worst part of the whole situation! bang, bang, bang!

Melissa; mommy to Mitchell and fur baby Mandy

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Glad the surgery went well and Maggie is doing well.

It is hard to keep them quiet, but necessary to regain full use.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

iAmTerri is offline Junior Member

It's good to know that Maggie's surgery went well. Are you into rehab now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast