6mo old black lab with stiffness??

Thread: 6mo old black lab with stiffness??

HleanneH80 is offline Junior Member

Default6mo old black lab with stiffness??

Hi, I have a 6 mo old black lab. Happy, healthy and very energetic. She is just about 50lbs at this point. My question/concern is that we have noticed that when getting up from laying down she is very stiff. Not just in the back but the front too. I plan on getting her to the vet soon to check it out but was wondering what your thoughts were. Is is possible that this could be from growing pains. I know 3 different people who own 3 of her siblings and she is by far the biggest of them. Or does this sound serious, for a 6mo old dog to be stiff and limping when waking. Now after she stretches and gets moving she is fine. Out in the yard running and playing with the kids. Also, does food have anything to do with stiffness. I have read a couple things about that. Thanks in advance!

Heather

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I'd get her to a vet, and not hope for answers here. It could be a number of things. Good luck!!!!!! Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

javasmom is offline Senior Member

My girl Java was diagnosed with pano(growing pains) when she was 5 months old. She was 55 lbs and growing far too quickly. I switched her to adult food and added Vit. C to her diet and she did outgrow it.
    I'd take her to the vet for a definitive diagnosis.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

murphsmom is offline Senior Member

The first lab that I had did the same thing. This was years ago. We took her to the vet, did xrays and all kinds of tests. She was also diagnosed with "growing pains". Always good to get it checked out though. =)

MurphySullyHogan

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

You need a vet. Could be anything from Pano to joint issues (yes, they CAN have them this young) or even Lymes disease. You need to know NOW what the issue is.

lisa is offline Senior Member

I would take your pup to the vet soon. I agree with Luvbrown...it could be Pano or joint issues. When my Lola was about 5 months she was also stiff to rise, limping after play, the vets said it could be "growing pains" .... I had her hips x-rayed and she was diagnosed with severe HD. She is 18 months, on supplements and doing fine.

I am not saying this is what is wrong with your pup.... a vet visit will ease your mind. Good luck, keep us posted.

HleanneH80 is offline Junior Member

Thank you all for your responses. I am going to get her to the vet asap and pray it's nothing serious. I will keep you all posted!!

iAmTerri is offline Junior Member

Here's something I read about Pano...

"Panosteitis is a bone disease most commonly found in young large breeds of dogs (6-18 months) and can last as long as 18 months, though the average is 2 to 5 months. Pano is a condition where the bones remodel and proliferate (growth by the rapid multiplication of parts). Dogs affected display lameness that will come and go and can change from leg to leg..... Also similar to other some other bone diseases, male dogs are much more likely to develop panosteitis than female dogs are. Certain breeds have displayed higher chances in developing Pano including Great Danes, Doberman Pinschers, German Sheperds, Labrador Retrievers, Basset Hounds and Rottweilers."

I hope it's nothing serious...Good luck and please do update us...