Hot spots question

Thread: Hot spots question

JandRBurns is offline Member

DefaultHot spots question

Hi, Roscoe is 10 months old and is now having his second hot spot. The first one was in early May under his left ear and this second one started two weeks ago under his right ear. We caught this second one early and it has stayed small (it's round and about the size of a silver dollar or less). Our vet gave us some Betagen topical spray (gentamicin sulfate with betamethasone valerate) which we spray on 6 to 8 times per day. Vet said he's got seasonal allergies which may be related to or causing the hot spots. To help control the allergies and kill the hot spot infection in May, she put him on prednisone and an antibiotic, which helped. She also advised drying the fur thoroughly under the ear and the ear itself whenever he comes in after a walk or drinking from his water bowl (he puts his whole face into the water bowl most times). When he gets wet, the place where the bottom of his ears hangs down stays wet, she said. That makes sense. (She also advised no swimming in fresh ponds this time of year.) He's on prednisone now for the allergies but not on an antibiotic. We have an appointment with the vet Monday morning and I'm guessing she'll prescribe antibiotics again. In the meantime, I'm open to any ideas or suggestions you all may have. For example, we give him Omega 3,6,9 fats (fish oil and other ingredients). We've also tried Gold Bond medicated powder to keep him from scratching the scab but have had only limited success. Thanks for any advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

I'd be a little nervous having such a young dog on steroids often along with antibiotics. One thing you might try is a different type of water bowl where he can't put his whole face in it.

No-tip Dishes for Long-eared Dogs (Set of 2) | Overstock.com

Rather would have stainless, but here's another one - No Spill Pet Bowl for Dogs - Bowls - Bowls & Feeders - PetSmart

When my dog gets a hot spot on his cheek, I usually cone him because he can't scratch at it and it breaks the cycle, giving the sore a chance to heal. I clip/shave the area, apply Gold Bond and he wears a cone. When the sore is doing pretty good, I take the cone off, put a dog bootie on his back foot so if he does scratch, he can't really dig at it.

Another thing to consider is fleas, that can cause hot spots as well.

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

JandRBurns is offline Member

Thanks. I appreciate the suggestions. The cone might be the way to go and the bootie is a good idea too. Plus, the no spill bowl would be great because he loves to spill the water and toss the stainless bowl around, which is messy.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

You might just elevate his water bowl.

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

I've used lysterine with some success - but it does sting like the dickens!

TanyaAD138 is offline Member

I had both a cat and a dog with hotspot issues. The dog always had red itchy sores all over, and the cat went BALD from itching so bad! Long story short, i discovered it wasn't so much "medical" as it was due to allergic reactions to THE FOOD. I switched them from the regular Purina to a grain free food. My choice was "Solid Gold's Barking at the Moon" within weeks, my dogs skin was no longer red and itchy and the cat (I put her on "Indigo Moon" from Solid Gold. grain free for cats) got all her hair back! Please, consider trying a better food before shooting your pets up with all sorts of drugs. in the long run, it's ALOT cheaper....and healthier!