feeding my new pup
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: feeding my new pup

ajh
    ajh is offline Junior Member

Defaultfeeding my new pup

**-I pick our 8 week old Lab up from the breeder tomorrow and we are very exited. Last year I buried our Dalmatian Jack who was 13 yrs old so we are ready for a new Labrador. I really want to do the right thing from the start so were planning on buying the best kibble for our new family member. I started to investigate and to my horror found out that even the best kibble is full of crap and fillers and its just a big money making con.

I then looked at the Barf diet but having put alot of time and energy I am now going to be feeding my dog raw meaty bones......Raw Meaty Bones I found out about the brands of kibble at http://http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

I just wanted to know if anyone is on the same path or disagrees and have had experience with the raw food diet
    Last edited by ajh; 06-11-2011 at 05:28 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

What does your breeder recommend? If he/she is a reputable breeder, they should be able to advise you on a feeding regime until the pup is at least 12 months old.

Congrats on your new family member. I hope you realise lots of photos are compulsory on this forum.

ajh

Defaultfeeding my new pup

the breeders are lovely and they breed great labs
    But I think they are blissfully unaware like most people and that if they feed top price kibble they are doing the right thing. They feed there dogs eukanuba http://http://www.dogfoodanalysis.co...cat/all/page/3

I dont want to be a smart a#&* I just want to do the best for my dog from day one and it makes sense that there natural diet would be meaty bones and not pellets made out of inferior meat byproducts and cereals....its all a bit to hard sometimes I think ignorance is bliss sometimes... I will keep the photos coming
    Last edited by ajh; 06-11-2011 at 09:43 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ajh View Post
    But I think they are blissfully unaware like most people and that if they feed top price kibble they are doing the right thing.

I dont want to be a smart a#&* I just want to do the best for my dog from day one and it makes sense that there natural diet would be meaty bones and not pellets made out of inferior meat byproducts and cereals....its all a bit to hard sometimes I think ignorance is bliss sometimes... I will keep the photos coming
    It seems that there are a lot raw feeders who feel that anyone who feeds kibble is ignorant, that their way is the only way. While they are entitled to that opinion, they should not look down on others who do not. Sometimes bliss can be wonderful. My brother fed his dog supermarket food (despite me trying to get him to feed otherwise), well his dog (Lab-Pit cross) lived to be over 15 years. My friend fed her dog top quality food, mostly grain free as soon as it came out years ago and she had to put him to sleep ago 2 weeks ago at the age of 11 because he was full of cancer, so you never know.

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

ajh

Quote Originally Posted by kiddsmom View Post
    It seems that there are a lot raw feeders who feel that anyone who feeds kibble is ignorant, that their way is the only way. While they are entitled to that opinion, they should not look down on others who do not. Sometimes bliss can be wonderful. My brother fed his dog supermarket food (despite me trying to get him to feed otherwise), well his dog (Lab-Pit cross) lived to be over 15 years. My friend fed her dog top quality food, mostly grain free as soon as it came out years ago and she had to put him to sleep ago 2 weeks ago at the age of 11 because he was full of cancer, so you never know.
    I am sure there are alot of people who can hold up examples to prove a case either way like smokers who live to a ripe old age. I am the ignorant one who until recently started looking in to and finding out that even the premium kibble was not what it pro ports to be. I certainly do not look down on anyone as I fed my Dalmatian for 13 years supermarket dry food so I was blissfully unaware that I was feeding my dog anything but meaty goodness like the adverts say. I thought there might be some raw food feeders who may be able to support me as it is a bit scary to go away from what you are used to and feel safe with.

labby is offline Senior Member

You better know what you are doing if you feed raw to a puppy. If ANYTHING is out of balance you can subject that puppy to a lifetime of growth/bone problems. You would void my contract immediately by feeding raw before the puppy was 2. You may feel Eukanuba is a bad food based on a website of someone's OPINION NOT FACT, but many successful breeders feed that food. If you trusted your breeder enough to buy a puppy from them, then why not trust them in what they feed. Did it occur to you that maybe they found Eukanuba to be the best thing to bring out the potential of the puppies they bred?

I feed my dogs ProPlan and REQUIRE my puppy buyers to do the same. If they want to try something else after the dog is full grown at 2, then that's their business.

Laura

labby is offline Senior Member

Remember, these websites you are reading is someone's OPINION.

Laura

kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Tell me, how often do you vaccinate your dogs?

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tanya is offline Senior Member

do feed the same food for at least a month after taking the puppy home, while they adjust to the changes. It is recommended to hold off changing their food for awhile.

Did you discuss with the breeder the longevity and health of their dogs? I mean, if they have a few generations of dogs that lived long, healthy lives, how can you dismiss them as ignorant - if they have actual proof?

Having said that, if I were in your shoes I would: Feed the breeder's food for at least a month or more. I would take the time to properly research raw diets and specifically, raw diets for puppies. Even alot of raw feeders hold off on starting raw until the puppies are grown (though a few feed raw from the begining). Feeding raw to a puppy is more complicated than feeding raw to an adult so I would hold off on jumping into raw.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Tanya is offline Senior Member

and I am going to throw this out there: foods on the market are tested and tested. there is proof it works. Yes some brands are better reputation wize (i.e. no recalls) so you can be swayed there.

I would encourage you to do more research though. Thsi diet you mention is just a website, have you researched the DATA behind it? Not just the "processed food is bad, dogs are canirvores" blah blah blah, but proof in the testing and results that went into this? Have you found books and more data on raw diets and not just this site?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast