Questions for a puppy battling Parvo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions for a puppy battling Parvo

KatherineO is offline Junior Member

UnhappyQuestions for a puppy battling Parvo

Hello all.
    I just posted an introduction but came across this site while researching labs and parvo. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated as I'm having a really hard time with all of this.

We got Chunk the very last week of April. We brought him home (we live on a military base) and everything had been going really great. We weren't introducing him to any other dogs and we were letting him go outside in our fence or for a quick potty break out front.

We use to have our large dog run set up but not connected to our house. Well we recently had an issue with a few neighbors walking their dogs not just through the common areas in back of the house, but in our back yard as well. I was cleaning up dog poop that didn't even belong to our dogs. I got fed up, bought the things I needed, broke down the dog run, made it bigger and connected it to our house.

On Sunday 6/5/2011 I noticed Chunk had thrown up. I didn't think anything of it because he was still running around, chasing Fred (our older dog), chasing me around the house, eating and drinking. A little while later he had watery diarrhea. I didn't notice any weird smell and it didn't have any blood in it. After he was done I sprayed the area and he went back to playing. After they played for a little while he seemed tired so I let him crawl into bed with me while I read. Later that night I noticed he wouldn't eat his dinner. He did however eat a piece of cheese and tried to eat Fred's food. He had another small diarrhea mishap, this time in the house. I immediately put him in his kennel and started cleaning the carpet. After the carpet was clean I let him drink some water, lay with me on the couch, then I took him out for his nightly potty break, then it was bed time.

I woke up Monday morning 6/6/2011 and there was nothing in his kennel. So I figured he had just eaten something off the ground that upset his tummy. I took him right out and he pee'd, ran in the house got water, and waited for breakfast. Again he wouldn't eat his breakfast and after smelling it he vomited yellowish liquid. I immediately called the vet.

I told her everything that had been going on and she said to bring him in at 10am because it sounded like parvo. His second round of shots was set up for Tuesday morning and that's why we had been so careful about where he was going and not letting him near any other dogs.

The minute we walked into the vet Chunk was as usual, his happy puppy self. The lady I talked to on the phone was like "Oh no he's way too happy to be a parvo puppy" but The vet did a fecal test and a parvo test. The parvo test came back positive. I lost it. I mean I was crying so hard I couldn't catch my breathe. We got Chunk a month and a half after I had a miscarriage. He brought me back to life and saved me. Now he has parvo and after all I've heard I just assumed the worst.

I signed the papers to get the vet treatment started right then and there. I came home and cried all monday. I couldn't even get myself out of bed. I only did what I had to do for Fred and then I'd get back in bed. Fred likes to be lazy and sleep in my bed so he didn't mind spending all day in bed. I went to sleep with knots in my stomach. I woke up scared to death of seeing a call from the vet. They told me the first day that unless something bad happens then I wont here from them in the morning. I can call anytime after 10 (so that the vet has time to do all the hospitalized check ups) and I can visit him whenever I want.

Well I didn't hear from them on Tuesday or Today so of course after 10 am I called to get updates. I've also been by to visit him everyday.

All the updates have been really good. He was doing so good and responding so well to the meds that they were going to send him home Tuesday because it seemed he was keeping food down. They did call later in the day and said he did throw up so they were keeping him again. I didn't hear anything this morning (Wednesday) so instead of calling at 10am I just went to visit. The Vet again said he's been doing so well and that anytime anyone walks past the quarantine room or they go in to check on him or change him bandage that he gets right up, his ears perk up, and his tail wags. Which is exactly what happens when I go check on him. Again this morning I had gotten there and he had eaten and not thrown up yet. He did poop but it was soft. It wasn't watery and he hasn't ever had blood in the diarrhea or the poop at the vets. Of course an hour later I got a call from the vet. He had thrown up so they were keeping him again tonight.

I called at about 4:30 for the final update of the day and they said he was doing well. After he threw up they did administer the nausea medicine but then he wouldn't eat. They said he seemed a little depressed but that he was still doing good. The vet said she is very confident, as well as the other vets & techs, that is going to survive this with flying colors. They said he could seem depressed because he threw up or his tummy was just hurting. They do plan on sending him home tomorrow or friday because he's been doing so well that they think he will continue doing well even with at home treatment.

I've been bleaching everything possible and I even went to housing today to ask about bleaching my yard and got the okay. I also asked if they could put out a memo and they will have to talk to communications but they'll look into it.

I'm just really worried. I know all the updates have been good and I've seen Chunk for myself. He doesn't look sick at all. He looks mad when I leave and he isn't coming with me but other than that he just looks a little sleepy.

Has anyone who has gone through Parvo had a similiar experience? I've been a nut case lately reading all this stuff on the internet. Some people say dogs have only a 20% survival but then I read that with treatment 80-90% can survive then of course you see people say that their dogs did great but then died out of no where. I know that no one can tell me exactly whats going on except the vet but any words of wisdom or help or prayers for chunk are appreciated.

Sorry this was so long. I just felt I needed to include all the information I had from my experience and everything I've been told by the vet. If anymore information is needed I'll do my best to answer and again any information is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you all so much for reading.
    Last edited by KatherineO; 06-08-2011 at 11:22 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

I haven't had any experience with parvo, but hopefully everything comes back ok! and hoping others will weigh in.

deidra is offline Senior Member

My friends dog got parvo and right now he is probably bugging her to play fetch,lol. I hope he makes a great Recovery and is home again soon. Did you tell his other owners about it in case they get another dog?
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Do you mean the people we got him from?
    He's been away from the breeders home for over a month. I don't think he got it from them. I got his name from my best friend back home and her puppy is just fine.
    I'm pretty sure he caught it from one of the neighborhood dogs that pooped in our yard. Or the parvo could have possibly been living in our yard this whole time. We live on post at Fort Bragg and these places are barely taken care of and with how many people move in and out we have no clue how to find out who lived here over the previous years.

deidra is offline Senior Member

Ok i was making sure because we have a neighbor who got rid of their dog and the dog was clear from parvo then got parvo with his new owners. After yard sampling they found out that it came from his previous home. Which they had another dog so it was good they caught it in time. Your dog is very cute BTW I can tell from your avatar pic
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Thank you. He's been the greatest little blessing I've gotten in awhile. We originally had a cat and a dog. On post you can only have two animals and once we got the cat fixed, he was still spraying everything in sight. It was awful. I ended up finding him a home at a no kill shelter run by a retired college professor. Those cats live better than my husband and I! We also donate money to his shelter every month. After we found out I was pregnant we decided on no more pets but when I had the miscarriage I was devastated. My husband literally had to force me to get out of bed and eat. He had an upcoming deployment, I had a miscarriage, and we had to give the cat up. It was a very awful start to our new year. Then we got Chunk. When I say he saved me, I fully mean that. I'm hoping since he's been doing so good that he's just going to continue doing well. Please pray for him.

rpost7786 is offline Senior Member

I adopted Avery and before we got him he had parvo. He was on the meds and IV and watched very closely. The adoption women called me and said it was up to me if I still wanted him or I could pick another puppy. In my heart I felt he was the right dog for me and was a worry wart before we even met. He got stronger and stronger every day and they held him an extra week. We got him at 12 weeks and he was happy and healthy. My prayers are with Chunk and I hope he has a speedy recovery.
    Rachel, Keith, Scarlett & Avery = One happy little Family

"A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?"- John Grogan

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

I hope Chunk continues to do well, and comes home soon!

Smile

Thank you all so much for the support.
    The vet called first thing this morning and of course my first thought wasn't a good one. It turns out that he will be coming home today. They said he's been in such a good mood, he's been drinking water and keeping it down, and he's been trying to chew out his IV that they think he's ready to come home.

They are keeping him till this afternoon then I get to go pick him up. They said they will send him home with everything he needs along with nausea medicine.

I have like a million questions for them so I'm writing them all down.

I do plan on taking him to my parents when I pick him up. They've never had any sick dogs on their property so there is no parvo and nothing else that could get him sick. I'm so worried about bringing him back into this house. We live on post at Fort Bragg and who knows how many people have been in and out of this house. I have no idea what kind of animals have been in here and I guarantee this carpet wasn't fresh when we moved in because we pointed out some stains on our move in sheet, so I'm just too scared to bring him back here right away when there is possibly something that could cause a secondary infection.

I will continue keeping you guys updated and I'm so happy to have found such a wonderful place for my kiddos and for myself.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Be sure and tell others on the base of your situation so they can be more aggressive about vaccinations if they get new pups. You don't mention how old Chunk was when you got him, but to only be getting the 2nd round of shots after having him for 5 wks or so seems a bit unconventional if parvo is common to the area.

Best wishes to Chunk for a fast recovery.

PS, just read your update. If this was indeed parvo, he will have lifetime immunity to it now, so bringing him home should not be an issue.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast