How far to walk a 12 week old puppy?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How far to walk a 12 week old puppy?

barnabus is offline Member

DefaultHow far to walk a 12 week old puppy?

Been walking my pup since she came home and have gradually increased the distance trying to find the magic number to where she is tired but not exhaustiive to curb the energy.We only walk in the cool of the morning and today she walk 1 mile.We stopped and rested for about 10 minitutes at the 1/2 mile mark then continued back towards home.She was still not exhausted but ran around like crazy. Is this far or too much for a 12 week old Lab?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ScorpianAbarth is offline Senior Member

A general rule is to walk 5 minutes for every month of their life

Also, make sure she's had all her shots before taking her walking!

deidra is offline Senior Member

i agree with the above. you could walk her 10 minutes then play fetch in the backyard to tire her out.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

adimaxjosh is offline Junior Member

More exercise you give your lab in first year, more healthy it will be, I suggest gradually increase her walk to 20 minutes a day.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by adimaxjosh View Post
    More exercise you give your lab in first year, more healthy it will be, I suggest gradually increase her walk to 20 minutes a day.
    Do you have science to back this up? Forced exercise of a young, growing dog can be detrimental to it's long-term joint health.

Laura

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I agree w/ waiting to take pup on walks around the neighborhood until after all of her shots. Read the other post about parvo--- it's out there. Distemper can also be a problem in some areas.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

barnabus is offline Member

Thanks for all the post.I dont live in a neighborhood. I live out in the country and Im the only one on a 3 mile road to my residence so I would never encounter another dog or their feces as its my property. I wouldnt exactly call me walking my dog "forced exercise".We walk to my mail box.Its not like I have her pulling a cart for crying out loud.The walks are casual with lots of sniffing.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    Thanks for all the post.I dont live in a neighborhood. I live out in the country and Im the only one on a 3 mile road to my residence so I would never encounter another dog or their feces as its my property. I wouldnt exactly call me walking my dog "forced exercise".We walk to my mail box.Its not like I have her pulling a cart for crying out loud.The walks are casual with lots of sniffing.
    I believe the "forced exercise" comment was in response to the person that said, "More exercise you give your lab in first year, more healthy it will be . . ."

I have always heard the 5 minutes per month of life rule, but I really don't remember where I heard it. When Bauer was that age we went for a couple short walks per day, and did a few fetching sessions in the yard.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I live in the country also-- but will repeat, I don't take my puppies off my fenced property for walks until they are thru their shots! Coyotes and other animals, the UPS truck or meter reader etc running thru infected poop at other residences... the possibilities are endless for your pup to get parvo if it's an issue in your area. I breed and raise a pup a year on avg here so not a newbie to the issue. It's NOT worth the chance of picking stuff up. I WILL take my pups to SAFE spots-- trusted disinfected indoor training facilities (puppy kindergarten classes are wonderful, btw), Home Depot, Lowes, mom and pop hardware stores and such-- before they are done w/ shots. The liklihood of encountering parvo in one of these situations is very low. Petco/Petsmart, not so... they hold rescue adoptathons and have alot of non-housebroken pups coming thru. Be very careful.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

You do not have to encounter another dogs feces to endanger an unvaccinated puppy. Parvo lives on surfaces for a surprisingly long time.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast