Eye discharge treatment help

Thread: Eye discharge treatment help

DefaultEye discharge treatment help

I noticed yesterday a little discharge from one of the eyes of my lab. Not much. However, this morning it is heavier and he seems uncomfortable. Any suggestions on treatments?. I read about poss allergies and to wash with a saline solution. Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

VET

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Probably an infection. Conjunctivitis is pretty common (pink eye in kids). I'd get a vet consult.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

Mine had that couple of years ago. The vet prescribed some eye drops and it went away in a few days.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Two of my girls had conjunctivits. The vet gave us drops & it cleared up. A vet exam is important because they stain the eye to make sure there is not a scratch on the eye causing an infection.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

According to my vet if the color of the discharge is yellow to green and the inside of the eye is red and irritated - most likely conjunt. or infection of some sort.

Otherwise rinsing with saline (I use sea salt and warm water) helps - most likely allergies.

If you are not sure than let the vet check it out to be safe.

We've been dealing with something like this for about 6 wks on and off with out 5 month old Maisy. Yellow discharge, red inner lining of eye, goopy when she wakes up in morning. Vet said infection or viral conjunctivitis - both should respond to triple antibiotic ointment that she prescribed. The ointment cleared it up after a couple of days, but then it keeps returning when we stop the ointment. Vet then said to try Benadryl (25 mg twice per day - the tabs you get OTC at drugstore) because it can also be an allergic reaction. That sounded strange to me, because it's only one eye. BUT - I'm telling you, the Benadryl IS helping. We've been doing that for about a week and discharge is cleared up, and only occasionally goopy, and then we use ointment again. I'm still not sure exactly what's going on (allergy, virus, infection?), but it seems to be controlled now, and we're hpoing that it's just one of those puppy things that disappears in time. And it doesn't seem to be causing the pup any discomfort or other/general symptoms.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

When we were in VT this summer Diesel had what appeared to be a raging case of conjunctivitis - had to find a vet for him and got drops. His eyes were so goopy and swollen he could barely see.

He cleared up a bit while we were away but was not 100%. When we ran out of drops at the end of the week his symptoms returned with a vengence.

Turned out to be allergies to the meadow that surrounded the house we rented. He was fine when we got outta VT! Zero symptoms in NJ. Guess he is not a country dog.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.