Who else gets the Leptospirosis vaccination?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who else gets the Leptospirosis vaccination?

Bookwormbiker is offline Senior Member

DefaultWho else gets the Leptospirosis vaccination?

Duke had his annual wellness exam today and the vet asked if I wanted to have him vaccinated for leptospirosis in addition to the others he was getting today. She gave me a brochure to look over and it looked like a good idea to me so I went ahead and told her to go ahead.
    He passed his exam with one exception. I need to be more regular with brushing his teeth. She pointed out that he had some tartar forming on one of his teeth. He weighed in at 82.4 lbs. today. She said that since he's older and they won't be seeing him as often that I need to keep an eye on his weight because Labs tend to be overfed too often. She said he's perfect right now, so be careful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Both of my girls get the Lepto vaccine and always have. They swim in any/all kinds of water, so it's a must for them.

hmhershey is offline Senior Member

I don't remember or not if I had Bentley get it or not, but will in the future for sure.

Bentley and his favorite toy. 2/5/11

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'm considering it - but won't combine it with any other vaccines.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Hadn't heard of it before getting HK ready for Therapy Training. They want her to have it. Called our vet, they don't give it. They don't believe it is a real enough problem here to give it, but gave me the name of a clinic that will give it to her.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

Yep, Layla has this one. The vet said it was a good idea since she would be in the woods often.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Yes I do, though we haven't had that many cases here in C. WA. In W. WA, however, it's a huge problem, and since I run hunt tests, etc over there, I now give it annually, every late winter or early spring (since spring is the biggest concern and the lepto vaccine has a relatively short effective period-- 6 mos or so). I use the L-4 vaccine by Vanguard here, since I like to separate it from any other vaccines that may be needed. Something to think about vs giving 5-7 vaccine components all together since Lepto is one of the more common reaction causing vaccines (that and rabies...). I only give combos every 3 yrs now after the first booster, so the stand alone L-4 has been wonderful.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

feistgardner is offline Junior Member

I just found out my puppy is allergic to that shot. Our vet gives it automatically with one of the other shots during her puppy shots. She developed a huge knot on her hip (think tennis ball) after she received the shot about a month ago. When I brought her in a week after the shot with the lump on her leg, she told me that I should never have her get that shot again and that she was allergic. She also said that it protects the dogs against water borne illnesses and my dog will need to avoid swimming in the lake, ponds, etc.

bearbuddymarie is offline Senior Member

we do in MA
    Buddy 11

bella 5

Bruno 3

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by feistgardner View Post
    I just found out my puppy is allergic to that shot. Our vet gives it automatically with one of the other shots during her puppy shots. She developed a huge knot on her hip (think tennis ball) after she received the shot about a month ago. When I brought her in a week after the shot with the lump on her leg, she told me that I should never have her get that shot again and that she was allergic. She also said that it protects the dogs against water borne illnesses and my dog will need to avoid swimming in the lake, ponds, etc.
    Dont know why a vet would be giving a Lepto vax in the hip. Rabies yes, but not Lepto.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast