How much do puppies poop?

Thread: How much do puppies poop?

Jan2009 is offline Member

DefaultHow much do puppies poop?

I feed my puppy Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food. She gets fed 3 times a day about less than a cup each time and she gobbles it up. She is not over weight. The thing that we have been noticing is she poops so much! like 6 or more times a day! I clean up her poop twice a day. I know puppies poop a lot but is this normal? Is the food not agreeing with her? The pet store said that the less fillers that go in her the less poop...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

I've realized that Bean has large, and/or loose poop with the "super" brands. It seems to be a common issue, from my research. I had a bag of the dreaded Science Diet, so have been mixing 50% with his usual Natural Balance L.I.D. Poop totally firmed up, so I'm going to try Pro Plan Sensitive & NB. I really think they need the fiber, or something.

Also, Bean had been treated for a parasite before I got him, and my first vet appt. showed that it hadn't totally cleared up. Has your pup had a poop test lately?
    Last edited by SharonaZamboni; 05-29-2011 at 10:02 PM.

Yes, my puppie too had parasites roundworm and coccidia. The vet dewormed her and put her On albon. She is still on meds. So that's why I'm not sure if it's the food or meds? The needed fed he'd Royall dog food. I changed her food slowly.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sorry using my phone...and it has a mind of its own ..lol The breeder fed her Royall

deidra is offline Senior Member

i would call the vet and see what they say.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jan2009 View Post
    I feed my puppy Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food. She gets fed 3 times a day about less than a cup each time and she gobbles it up. She is not over weight. The thing that we have been noticing is she poops so much! like 6 or more times a day! I clean up her poop twice a day. I know puppies poop a lot but is this normal? Is the food not agreeing with her? The pet store said that the less fillers that go in her the less poop...
    Your puppy doesn't need LB puppy food, Labs are not a large breed. LB food is a gimmick.

How old is your puppy? Are the stools firm?

What the pet store said is true with a premium food vs. something like Pedigree. I only feed my dogs/puppies ProPlan and they don't have stool issues. Their stools are firm and the pups poop about 4 times a day, usually after meals and then at night.

Laura

Thanks, I think I will call her vet. The breeder fed her LOYALL not Royal...oops. Her poop is semi firm at times mushy. So I don't need to feed her LB food? I didn't know that. I guess the feed store will try and sell ya anything to make an extra buck. The food is expensive! They said Loyall had to many by-products and that it's not good for her? Once I talk to the vet I will see if I should change her food after her fecal culture comes back clear. I have no idea what food is good food. I want her to be healthy and have a great healthy coat. Off I go to clean up more poop...my yard is like a land mine...

labby is offline Senior Member

Can you get ProPlan there? It's the only food I will feed my dogs and just about the only food that hasn't been recalled in recent years (yes Blue Buffalo was recalled). My dogs never had a normal, firm stool on Blue Buffalo.

As to the by-products.....scare tactics:

It's not meat, but the organ matter from the chicken, the guts, liver, heart, brains, intestines, stomach etc. I think this is a human thing, because those organs are always the first to be eaten by wild canids, wild felines, and pretty much any other. They don't go for the 'meaty haunch', they go for the gut and pull out all that gooey stuff and eat it.
    Meat byproducts in dog food by law do not include hair, horn, teeth or hooves, feathers or manure. It does include organs, including the lungs, spleen, intestines, brains, kidneys and liver, and in the case of chicken byproducts will include the head and feet. About 50 percent of a slaughtered cow will not go for human use, most of this leftover goes into the pet food industry, not because it's unhealthy. How many of us rush out to the grocery store to eat a daily meal with tripe (stomach), chitlins (intestines), and scrambled brains? Believe it or not, while organ meats are gross to think of eating to humans, they are also extremely high in natural vitamins and minerals.

Some people prefer to pass up animal by-products, which are proteins that have not been heat processed (unrendered) and may contain heads, feet, viscera and other animal parts not particularly appetizing. But protein quality of by-products sometimes is better than that from muscle meat.

Laura

LabMan35 is offline Junior Member

If they she is going that much, I would stop feeding her it.

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

I just spoke to a lady who owns a pet supply store in town. She's good friends with a canine nutritionist. Seems to think the fiber fillers only absorb the extra liquid to firm up stool. She recommended a probiotic powder to help with Bean's poop. I've got a week's supply, so we'll see if it works.