My seeing eye dog has diareha

Thread: My seeing eye dog has diareha

sjp1 is offline Junior Member

DefaultMy seeing eye dog has diareha

Hi I am new to this site and am wondering what to do. MY six year old lab has had diareha for a couple days. I cooked some rice and made sure he has water but he still is not going to the bathroom properly. My vet wont be back until tueday and i am looking for some ideas, he seems happy and is not lathargic he had bad gas a couple of days ago but thats gone thank god ! please help.

Thanks
    Jason

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'd fast him for 24 hours then do the boiled ground chicken (or beef) and rice mixture. You can also feed some pumpkin (not pie filling, regular canned pumpkin). If he is not improved by Sunday, I'd find another vet and get him there.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

bett is offline Senior Member

and overboil the rice.

did he get into something he shouldnt have?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jersey Joe is offline Junior Member

I have been dealing with this with my Chloe. Started Wednesday night, seems like theres a bug going around. Here is my Vet/Breeder resonse to an email I had sent her.

"In general, when a dog has diarrhea, you should stop all the regular diet and treats. Institute a bland diet of 50:50 mixture of cottage cheese and rice; or boiled chicken and rice. Give the bland diet for 3 days. If the stool in normal on the 4th day, slowly switch back to the regular diet over the next 3 days. It would be a good idea to have a fecal sample checked. I can have you drop one off here if you would like. Some of them need flagyl if they are not responding to the bland diet alone"
    Shannon's Brown Eyed Girl "Chloe" CGC/TDI
    DOB 6/12/08
    Tailten Ya Gotta Believe "Tug"
    DOB 7/09/10

Doesn´t matter you didnt win the first prize you always take home best in show!

sjp1 is offline Junior Member

My nieghbor told me the same thing and that after a quick look told me dogs can have a little peptobismol . By monday he was find and back to doing his job. I thank everybody for there help and if you like labs please visit the the seeing eye web site.