Help!!!!

Thread: Help!!!!

Jan2009 is offline Member

DefaultHelp!!!!

I got my lab 1 week ago today from a breeder. And she has had diarrhea....took in a stool sample to her vet. She has roundworm and coccidia! We have an appt. tomorrow for meds. My puppy has not stepped foot outside my house and I pick her poop up right after she goes. My house is also very clean. I don't understand how she got this? The Vet tech said she prob. got it from the breeders dogs. I am so upset. The breeders said she was perfectly healthy....NOT!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nicole is offline Senior Member

Are you having the puppy potty IN the house?? Has she had diarrhea since you brought her home?

Anywho, it's certainly not the end of the world and it should be easily mended with meds. The vet visit should be a must with any new dog/puppy you bring home anyhow.

No, she is going potty outside. I have had her only 1 week today and she just started having diarrhea. She has her 1st vet appointment tomorrow I had already scheduled it before she even had gotten sick. They said they will give her meds tomorrow.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

Roundworms get passed from mother to pup pre-birth but it takes awhile for them to develop to the stage they lay eggs (what's found in stools usually). Not only that...the mother doesn't have to have an active case. If she had them as a pup, her pups will do. They encyst (in the liver I believe) and get reactivated by the hormones of pregnancy. Worms have wonderful survival adaptations. In reality, it probably isn't something the breeder could have prevented. Coccidia isn't like that but can be picked up in a lot of places (drinking water out of a puddle etc.) In any case, they can both be treated easily.

I took her in today and the vet gave her a dewormer and Aldon. She said she looks healthy not dehydrated and sounds good. She also got her 2nd vaccination and heart worm meds which I will start on the 1st. I am so glad we got her meds.