Getting another lab, looks malnourished
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting another lab, looks malnourished

Codysmom is offline Junior Member

DefaultGetting another lab, looks malnourished

Hi all, haven't been here for awhile but remembered that this was a good place for advice so...
    A one yr old yellow lab that we are looking at is extremely skinny. His head and neck appear to be normal size but his body is skin and bones. The owners say they have taken him to the vet and he doesn't have worms and appears to be healthy. Says it could be he has a high metabolism and suggested changing his food to a higher protein diet. I'm going to talk to our vet tomorrow but wanted to get some opinions or ideas from you guys. He's a really sweet tempered dog and we'd love to get him but are worried about his health and can't really afford to take on a dog with health problems. Thanks in advance for any thoughts! I've been trying to upload a picture but I can't get it to work. Any suggestions? It would probably be good if you could see a pic of him.
    Linda
    Linda

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

It could be matablolism. What do you mean skinny? Like can you see them protruding or can you see them a little and feel them? Maybe this will help Food and Weight*Update | EPI Nia
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Dani is offline Senior Member

it could be that he's anxious around his current owners. I had a dog that I adopted out to from my rescue that came back emaciated. We put her on puppy food which has a higher fat content and added yogurt and some canned pumpkin (and the occaisional wet food) and fed her three times a day for several weeks. She gained steadily and we decreased her feedings from 3 to 2 times a day and slowly lessened the amount we fed her. She went from 48 lbs to 60 lbs in about a month. As long as your vet rules out any and ALL medical problems before you get him, this approach will probably work as well. It has to be a high quality puppy food. We fed solid gold. But we made sure that all medical issues were eliminated. As it turns out, she was just extremely unhappy in her former home and she thrived with our care and she's now in a great new home and still continuing to do well.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

No, you can see them. He's probably in between 1&2 on the chart. I'm going to try again to upload a picture. Thanks
    Linda
    Linda

bett is offline Senior Member

thyroid?
    Last edited by bett; 05-09-2011 at 03:46 PM.

Here's a picture of Bailey. As you can see his head and shoulders looks normal but the body just doesn't fit. My husband says there is no fat on him at all that he could tell.
    Linda
    ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
    Linda

deidra is offline Senior Member

I saw 10-20 more pounds on the guy and he will be the shape is supposed to be. When you take him to the vet make sure they do blood tests for parasites and other things. Also he is a very cute boy
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

What and how much are they feeding that dog? He has no fat left on his head - he's is pitifully thin. If you don't adopt him, you should call the local humane society/animal control as he needs rescuing, IMO. (Unless he has been ill and that caused his weight loss)
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Yeah, he needs higher fat. Do what I did with Moka and you'll see a huge diff. I'd have his thyroid checked like Bett suggested though.

This was Moka on 2/20 (@48 lbs.):

and on 3/26 (@61lbs):
    Last edited by Dani; 05-09-2011 at 09:10 AM.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

stephennmcdonald is offline Junior Member

Hi all. I joined just because of this post - the link in deidra's post registered as a trackback on my blog. I'm actually a GSD owner, although my GSD's boyfriend (my best friend's dog) is a big happy yellow lab.

What and how much are they feeding that dog? He has no fat left on his head - he's is pitifully thin. If you don't adopt him, you should call the local humane society/animal control as he needs rescuing, IMO. (Unless he has been ill and that caused his weight loss)
    I'm very sad to see this myth perpetuated in this thread. That's a terrible, accusatory thing to say considering you don't know any of the facts. To assume that the dog is somehow being mistreated is pessimistic and just plain wrong. I had to deal with the same kind of stereotypes for 2 years with my Nia and it's upsetting and in fact, infuriating.

That dog looks exactly like my Nia did just over a year ago. Same sad face, same visible ribs, everything. Yet, I'm one of the most conscious, caring dog owners you'll ever meet. Nia gets exercised regularly, gets Innova Evo food, only wheat-free, no-byproducts treats, never table scraps, etc etc. My care for her had no bearing on her weight. What did affect her was a disease that not many people know about: EPI. You can read about her specific struggles here: About Nia | EPI Nia

As for some useful advice for the original poster: If you get this dog, or even if you don't, please, PLEASE have it tested (or have the current caregivers have it tested) for EPI. EPI is an extremely unknown disease that seems to be appearing more and more frequently as of late. It's not breed, age, or sex-specific. What it does is limit or completely inhibit your dog's ability to digest the food it eats - so in spite of the fact that the dog might be eating all of its food, whether it's top-of-the-line food or not, the dog will wither away and die over time because it's not able to process it and get the nutrients it needs. You can learn more here: Overview - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

Having the thyroid checked is a good suggestion, and it is possible as someone else posted that the dog might just have been unhappy with the existing owners, but to that poster's point, please rule out *all* potential medical issues, including EPI - as this is something that I've found more than 75% of vets don't know about or test for unless you explicitly ask. And please, please, whatever you do, do not jump to irrational, pessimistic, short-sighted conclusions like BigBrownDog did.
    Last edited by stephennmcdonald; 05-09-2011 at 09:54 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast