1 year lab not eating

Thread: 1 year lab not eating

copcopy2k is offline Junior Member

Default1 year lab not eating

Hi all!
    I'm new here so forgive the lenghthy explaination. Ok so 'joey'has just turned one year and he's still not eating properly. In a way we are to blame since we have spoiled him a lil bit by leaving his food out for up to 3 hours in the hope that he would finish.
    We have tried everything from visiting a doc and getting an ultrasound to make sure all organs are find; giving him some medicine to make him hungry; to feeding him with our hands but he still eats very irregularly and has now become very thin.
    He's however still very active and extremely naughty fortunately. Smeone was telling us that perhaps its because he's on heat because our neighbour has a golden retriver and she's on heat and Joey plays with her. He's been whining continuosly but not eating.
    We give him about 400 grams of chicken with rice for meals. Any advice anyone??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

It may be that you're expecting Joey to eat more than is healthy for him. Labs from bench or show lines tend to be chunky and blocky and with ribs that only show when they're emaciated (I had one like that). Labs from Hunting & Field Trial lines tend to be leaner, leggier, and often with ribs that show (I have one like that now--Puff).

Just in case that's true of your Joey, below is a copy of a something I've posted before that you might consider.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++

Around 7-9 months is when many puppies need to have the amount of food they eat reduced.
    So it may NOT be a dislike of the food but, rather, a needed natural reduction in amount of food eaten.

Very young puppies (say 8 wks age) need to eat about 2X the amount that an adult dog of that same weight would need. As they grow older and as they come closer to their adult weight, that gradually but continuously decreases to 1X. (See Puppy Nutrition in the UC-Davis "Book of Dogs.")

When Puff was about 8 months old, she weighed 50 lbs of her eventual adult weight of 62 lbs. She'd started eating about 1 cup/day total when she was 6 lbs @ 9 wks age. Her food intake gradually increased to 5 cups/day (over 2 meals) when she was about 8 months age.

Then she began skipping meals. Sometimes for a day or more. When she began eating again, she ate a reduced amount so I gave her that amount. Then after a bit she'd stop eating again and when she resumed, it was again a reduced amount. We kept going through these stages until she got down to a little over 2 cups/day total.

It was through this that I discovered my Puff is largely a self-regulator of her food intake. That puts her in the minority; most Labs are gluttons and some could easily kill or injure themselves by over-eating if given a chance. Self-regulating (according to a poll I conducted on JL about 6-7 years ago, responded to by about 70 owners) is only found in about 10% of Labs. And, at that, it applies only to regular kibble and not to steak, fish, cat food, cheese, horse manure, etc.

So, consider the possibility that it may NOT be that he dislikes the food but rather that he's somewhat of a self-regulator, is sufficiently full, and now needs to begin reducing the amount of his daily food intake.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748