Temporary loss of control of back legs
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Temporary loss of control of back legs

whit74 is offline Junior Member

DefaultTemporary loss of control of back legs

Ok, let me see if I can explain this properly.

I have an almost 2 year old chocolate lab, and for roughly the past year or so, he's been having these weird issues, for lack of a better word. They always occur when he first wakes up and jumps off our bed in the morning. (In the mornings that he stretches his back legs first, which is almost every morning, this almost never happens.) But once he jumps down and takes a few steps, some times he gets all the way into the hall or down the stairs before it happens, but his back legs give out on him and he falls down. Some times he falls all the way down, other times he remains in a kind of half sitting up position. But either way he can't control his back legs. They appear to become extremely tense and his little feet become almost claw like. If he tries to get up too soon, he falls back down. And always the entire time he appears to be completely conscious and aware and knows exactly who I and my boyfriend are. (My 19 year old cat had seizures before she died and she couldn't tell me from a stuffed animal.) So because of that fact and the fact that he never goes to the bathroom, I don't think it's an actual seizure. But our vet is rather stumped without seeing him actually have one, and usually he has them pretty rarely. The closest they've ever been has been maybe a month apart. However he had two this week, and the first one caused him to fall down the stairs.

I hope I explained that well enough... I tend to get freaked about this whole thing

So, I was just wondering if anyone has heard of something like this happening? Or if their dog has something similar happen? Or if you have any idea what could be causing it... we are baffled. Granted we haven't had blood work down, or x-rays... those are a little costly so we're trying to avoid those until we get to that bridge...

Thanks so much for any light any one can shed on this!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanwen is offline Senior Member
    I moved to Banbury in Oxfordshire in 1993,prior to that I llived in Birkenhead,Cheshire

Sorry, not a clue but wanted to bump this up the page so others might be able to offer some advice. If it were Dinozzo I'd start the tests especially as he's had two attacks in a week it could indicate things are getting worse.

MikeE is offline Senior Member

Possible bulging disc compressing against a nerve, causing his legs to become numb temporarily?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

The vet needs to do xrays. Poor baby boy.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeE View Post
    Possible bulging disc compressing against a nerve, causing his legs to become numb temporarily?
    Agree with this or even a ruptured disk. I'd get my dog to a vet ASAP in order avoid further damage.

Quote Originally Posted by jzgrlduff View Post
    The vet needs to do xrays. Poor baby boy.
    If there is a disk problem, better diagnosed with an MRI or CT.

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

It could still be seizures too. Not all dogs go unconscious with a seizure and the tensing sure sounds like it. I had a lab years ago that had seizures. They sound more involved than yours does (all 4 legs went tense...and he couldn't stand up) but it was never a grand mal where he lost his bowels or urine and didn't know us. It took us a while to have his diagnosed too because all his blood work was normal and even though we tried a number of times to get him to the vet while he was having one so he could see it, by the time we got there (15 minutes) he was normal again. The funny thing is Travis always had his right after getting off the bed too.

Shelley is offline Senior Member

I would also rule out EIC, just to be sure it isn't EIC. It is a simple blood test, and costs about $65.00, plus whatever your vet charges for a blood draw, and shipping to the U of MN. Although this condition is usually characterized by excitement or exercise, (throwing bumpers, Frisbees etc...) you dog's symptoms sound eerily familiar to EIC, so I think it is worth looking into before you run a bunch of other tests too.

More information:
    There is a bar on the right hand side with FAQ's and other links.
    Exercise Induced Collapse in Labrador Retrievers and Related Breeds - CVM - Veterinary and Biomedical Services, University of Minnesota

This is also an interesting link to Atypical Collapse.
    Atypical Collapse in Labrador Retrievers - CVM - Veterinary and Biomedical Services, University of Minnesota

bett is offline Senior Member

this is going on for a year? you've crossed the bridge-get the dog to a vet-and then perhaps to an ortho vet.

jazzypad1 is offline Member

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    I would also rule out EIC, just to be sure it isn't EIC.
    Actually doesn't sound like EIC at all. The dog is missing the "exercise" component in the Exercise Induced Collapse. In this case, I would go the route of xrays to look at the back and hips instead of spending the money on a test that's probably not the problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast