Spring Allergies

Thread: Spring Allergies

TeeBee is offline Junior Member

DefaultSpring Allergies

Since the beginning of April, Kira has had major eye goobers every day. Nothing appears to be wrong with her actual eyes, they aren't red or swollen, she isn't pawing at them, I've inspected both eyes thoroughly to her discontent....but every day most of the day, I am wiping pretty good sized yellowish-green goobers from the corners of her little eyes.

I got her in December of last year and this is her first spring, she's 7 months old now.

Am contemplating taking her to the vet, but people have told me this is normal for this time of year (we are in San Diego) and to just keep an eye on it, that Labs are allergy prone to the zillions of flowers and plants here.

Any feedback or suggestions?
    Kira's Mom

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Allergies in the first year of life to environmental things (pollens, molds, etc.) are pretty rare. Generally they need one season of exposure, and the second time around (second Spring, Fall, etc.) is when you'll see the allergies. That being said, it does happen occasionally. I'd be in to the vet to make sure she's producing enough tears, that she doesn't have conjunctivitis, and that there's no sign of ulcers in either eye. Then, if none of those things are present I'd chalk it up to allergies and try to flush the eyes occasionally with a veterinary ophthalmologic flush and monitor for other signs of seasonal allergies to develop (ear gunk, itchy skin, etc.). Good luck!

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

TeeBee is offline Junior Member

Kira went to the vet today....Conjunctivitis. Got a topical ointment for her eyes...already seeing improvement. Poor Labby Girl! Darn those pollens and mold spores.
    Kira's Mom