Hungry dog

Thread: Hungry dog

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

DefaultHungry dog

Bean acts like a regular dog during the day- sniffing, eating fallen crumbs, etc. Then at night he acts as though he's starving. He surfs the counters, tries for the trash, and nags for food. I feed 3 times a day, about 2 cups of a 50/50 mix of TOTW and Natural Balance.
    Actually at night he probably gets closer to 3 cups. He definitely doesn't need more food, as it looks like he's getting a little fat on his belly.
    Could this be behavioral rather than truly hungry? If so, what can I do about it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

He's a lab. Most labs act as though they haven't eaten in days even after having had too much food. As for what to do - train! Correct the behavior. I just leave the garbe behing a closed door (a door dogs cannot open).

how much is he eating total a day? (2 cups)? Is there a reason you are mixing two foods?

The best way to tell if a dog is at a healthy weight (other than talking to your vet of course) is by touching their side. If you can easily feel the ribs they are likely at a healthy weight. To see the ribs would mean too skinny for a lab (some breeds you do normally see ribs but not generally a lab). If you really have to push in and dig to fee the ribs he is likely too fat.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

At 5 months old he does not need 3 meals a day. That also seems like an awful lot of food daily.

This is behavioral. Mine really don't pester me for food because I never give them anything outside of mealtimes. My husband on the other hand has them up his butt when he is making sandwiches for lunch - they know they'll get something tossed to them. You make the habits your dog has and if you are consistent in not rewarding him when he begs, he may abandon that behavior.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I'm mixing because I was going to switch his food. He's good about people food because he never gets any, unless it's by accident. Bean's not fat, but I definitely am keeping an eye on his weight. I guess he's just a pain at night!

No place to put the trash, but I got a can with a cover and continue to correct him whenever he goes near it.

lizzyjones is offline Junior Member

Our girl is a typical RAVENOUS lab. Her greatest interest in life is food. And for some reason she is the worst at night. I always tell her that her food switch is stuck in the "on" position. One thing that has helped is to give her several small goodies in a " buster cube" that she has to push around so that it takes her longer to get out the goodies and she it helps to expend energy too. Actually, we feed her her meals like that too as it slows her eating down. Two other quick helpful hints: take him for a walk/playtime or give him goodies like mini carrots that are low calorie...Zuke's also makes a treat that are tiny and only 2 calories each.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Can you clarify how much you are feeding him? Is it 2 cups a day total or 2 cups 3x a day? If the latter, that is way too much food for any dog, let alone a puppy. I started taking Diesel down from 3 meals a day to 2 around Bean's age. Typically 3-4 cups a day is an adequate amount of food. Training will curb the begging issues. I'm having to do that for Diesel right now. He suddenly started begging whenever I ate chips, now it is anything & everything despite me not giving him table scraps.

Yes, he was eating 2 cups three times a day. Some of that amount is used for training treats. This morning he's had 1 1/4 cup. Yesterday I gave him green beans, too. I laid off the Kong feeding, since it was a bit addicting for him.

I thought that it was a lot of food, too! Pretty expensive food, at that.

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

Maybe consider dropping off a stool sample at the vet to check for the rare possibility of worms....
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

He was just in for tests that were OK. Now I'm pretty sure it's behavioral.