Possible allergic reaction to Baytril

Thread: Possible allergic reaction to Baytril

tobysmommy is offline Junior Member

DefaultPossible allergic reaction to Baytril-wrong very rare Toby has Tetanus!!!

My 5 year old Lab was given Baytril on Tuesday for a possible infection. On Easter Sunday, he was playing with a stick and jabbed himself on the inside of his throat. He started shaking because of a fever on Monday night. We took him to the vet on Tuesday and he was given an injection of an antibiotic and Baytril pills to take 1x per day. Since then his neck was really swollen and we chalked it up to the injury. That swelling got better yesterday and we noticed that right behind his left ear was really swollen and he wasn't able to turn his head to the left. His head looks "crooked" because of the swelling. I am thinking we should stop the Baytril and is there anything we can give him to lower the swelling? Waiting for the 24hr emergency vet on call to call me back. Just wondering if any of you have had issues with this med?????
    Last edited by tobysmommy; 05-02-2011 at 07:38 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

I would rush hiim to the vet not wait for them to call,but that is me. I have not had this pill for my 2 that I can remember.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Heading to the animal hospital now.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Make sure to give an up-date. Hope he gets to come home tonight
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

bett is offline Senior Member

hope everything is ok and i wouldnt be surprised if it's from the injury.

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

I don't know enough about the canine lymph system, but it could be drainage from the infection. In any case, vet is the best idea. Let us know how he does!

Just got back from the ER Vet....thank goodness we took him. The vet gave pain injection to settle him to do an xray - no foreign object (stick) in throat. Then vet sedated Toby in order to do a proper exam of his throat. Thank god.....the vet found an abscess right by Toby's vocal cord!! She lanced it and it drained. She didn't test for Tetinus because she said that test was very expensive, but he showed all the signs of it in addition to the abscess. The signs were starting to show neurological issues - his eyes were so huge and didn't react to shining the light in his eyers, although he tried to chase the light when she turned it on!! And he walked crooked and his ears were back. So all said and done, he got the pain injection, sedative, antinflammatory pain injection and antibiotic injection. We got sent home on 2 different antibiotics, rimadyl and a pain med. He will have to be on antibiotics for 6 weeks at least. Not to happy that our normal vet didn't do a more thorough exam, very happy that this vet was thorough!! We are switching our over to this vet. She also gave us more options as to what we wanted to do. Hats off to the Eagle River Animal Hospital!!!! LOVE them....Toby is now resting comfortably. He has to be kept quiet in the dark for the next 2 weeks - not going to be easy. We have friends coming up with Toby's bestest chocolate friend next weekend. We will just have to keep them seperated. Hopefully on the road to recovery.....going to be a long road!! When she said neurological...I got REALLY scared!!!

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

Poor doggy! Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Oh my goodness that is really scary! Thank god you took him asap to the e-vet. Sending healing thoughts for your Toby.