Taste of the Wild anyone?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taste of the Wild anyone?

Danielle is offline Junior Member

QuestionTaste of the Wild anyone?

After reading about this whole "too much protein" stuff on this forum I am getting kind of nervous about feeding my lab puppy this. I feed my 2 yorkies this food, and they do great on it. Is this ok for a 9 week old puppy? Taste of the Wild Prairie

Protein: 32% Fat: 18%
    Calcium: 2.1%, as-fed; Phosphorus: 1.4%, as-fed
    Calories: 3,719 kcal/kg (370 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy
    Available in 5lb, 15lb and 30lb bags.

Ingredients
    Bison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Also, could too much protein be the cause of runny stool?

javasmom is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't feed it to a 9 week old puppy.
    Both of my girls are on TOTW, but they didn't start on it until they were 13 months old and 9 months old.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom, is there a reason or just personal preference on why you wouldnt feed it? I read the website and it says that its a food for all stages of life, so I would assume its not too terribly bad for them. I was told by my vet that I could take him off puppy food, but I live in japan on a military installation.. and since I was already feeding my two small dogs this, I just started feeding my puppy this as well. All the food around here is garbage, like the purina and what not. I have to special order TOTW. Wish I had more options here My yorkie pups did fine on it, but I know every breed/dog is different. Also, what did you feed your labs as pups?
    Last edited by Danielle; 04-28-2011 at 07:07 AM. Reason: additional question

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle View Post
    javasmom, is there a reason or just personal preference on why you wouldnt feed it? I read the website and it says that its a food for all stages of life, so I would assume its not too terribly bad for them. I was told by my vet that I could take him off puppy food, but I live in japan on a military installation.. and since I was already feeding my two small dogs this, I just started feeding my puppy this as well. All the food around here is garbage, like the purina and what not. I have to special order TOTW. Wish I had more options here My yorkie pups did fine on it, but I know every breed/dog is different. Also, what did you feed your labs as pups?
    As pups my girls were fed Eukanuba. I switched Java to grain free at 13 months old, after she tore her ACL in both knees. Grains can cause inflammation in joints, so I wanted to eliminate that issue with Java. I switched Moka at 9 months old...she had broken her leg at 4 months old,so I kept her on puppy food until her leg was completely healed (more nutrition in puppy food).
    9 weeks just seems really young for a high protein, grain free food. Pups nutritional needs are far different than adults, so I just wouldn't feel entirely comfortable feeding TOTW at that age. I would wait and start it closer to the 5-6 month range if anything, but I'd try to hold off until 9-10 months.
    Do you have Proplan there? Good food, alot of breeders feed it to their litters.

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

I feed the salmon and sweet potato but as you can see by my pictures my two are senior. My Bailey is allergic to chicken so this food has been wonderful for both.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

The thing I think you need to realize is that not all dogs do well on the same food. Your puppy's runny stool could very well be caused by the food being too rich for him.

If you have access to Purina foods, Pro-Plan Selects (NOT the Shreds) is an excellent choice. Many, many breeders use this food and IMO it is much more appropriate for a puppy (even though TOTW says it is all life stages).
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I also feed TOTW and Sammi does great on it, but she is 5. I know it says " all stages" but I wouldn't feed it until they are over 1, I think its more the calcium then the protein. I could be wrong, hopefully others will chime in here.

Alaskalab is offline Senior Member

I was going to switch my dogs to the Pro Plan Selects but the lady at the feed store told me it was being discontinued. Has anyone else heard this?

Dani is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskalab View Post
    I was going to switch my dogs to the Pro Plan Selects but the lady at the feed store told me it was being discontinued. Has anyone else heard this?
    I haven't heard that.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast