Kidney Failure

Thread: Kidney Failure

latetotheparty is offline Junior Member

DefaultKidney Failure

Hello All......

Please forgive me if there is already a thread on this topic.... I looked a bit, but couldn't find anything...

Here is my situation..... I have a dear friend who has an 8 y/o yellow labbie fella that was bought from a reputable breeder as a pup. The dog became listless and lethargic and refused to eat and was taken to the vet last Friday. After blood tests, the vet diagnosed kidney failure... said that it was a congenital issue and that there was nothing that my friend could have done to prevent it. My friend is a responsible dog person and the dog has not gotten into anything he should not have.... He has contacted the breeder to make her aware and she is responding well.... thank goodness she is not a byb or mill....

I have asked my friend if the vet has diagnosed a specific illness other than "kidney failure" but apparently he has not....

I am stumped and wonder if any of you wise and experienced lab people can offer any insight or advice..... is there some sort of genetic issue, that may be uncommon, but that does happen with labs??

TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MakinASplash is offline Member

Just so you are aware, a congenital defect is not necessarily a genetic issue. It just means that the condition was present at birth and acquired during fetal development.

Splash born December 2010
    Marley 1997 to April 2011 (RIP sweet girl)

latetotheparty is offline Junior Member

yes... that makes sense .... my friend is deaf and relies on lip reading.... i could see confusing congenital issue with genetic issue....

thanks!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry for your friend. I don't have any advice, perhaps others do.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

I'm assuming it was diagnosed with chronic renal failure and not acute? Unfortunately we don't see signs of CRF until about 75% of the functioning units of the kidney are gone. There are a lot of causes for chronic renal failure, and by the time the disease is diagnosed deducing what the cause was is almost impossible. Congential causes include renal dysplasia, amyloidosis, or polycystic kidney disease. Some causes of acquired renal disease include leptospirosis, rickettsial diseases, pyelonephritis (kidney infection), hypercalcemia, kidney stones, or toxins like grapes and raisins, antifreeze or NSAIDs.

One of my own dogs is in chronic renal failure and he's done great with a switch ti Hill's k/d food, and adding fish oil capsules, CoQ-10, Azodyl and when it was still available, Rubenal, to his diet. We also cut out all sources of additional protein (treats, etc.) and his values are almost normal. He's six months post-diagnosis now and you would never know he's sick. I hope your friend can get some help for her dog and get him feeling better soon!

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Sorry to hear this. I have been thru chronic KF too. Here is what I did for my girl.

Kidney Failure | Hearty Pet Talkin' Tails Blog

Prayers your friend can get her Lab back in normal range, or at least lower and keep it in check.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Just a note Patty - dogs with renal failure have low urine specific gravity, not high. Specifically they have isosthenuric urine (neither very concentrated or very dilute) because the kidney has lost the ability to concentrate or dilute the urine. A CRF USG would be typically 1.010 - 1.018 in a dog. Normal dogs should concentrate to at least 1.030.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Dad of Four is offline Member

Have them go to K9kidneydiet and sing up. There's lote of good info there.
    Sadly we lost Abbey last week to RKF, we just caught it too late.
    Gracie - Yellow Lab - 10/23/2005
    Maddie - Chessie - 3/6/2010
    Pinks - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 12/30/10

At the Bridge
    Nozomi (Zoe) - BC/Lab - Got ya 9/5/2009 - 3/19/2015
    Abbey - Yellow Lab - Got ya - 5/8/2009 - 4/22/11
    Cheanna - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 5/99 - 9/21/10
    Buddy (Bubba) - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 11/2/02 - 3/28/10
    Amber - Yellow Lab/Dobi - Got ya 8/1989 - 5/15/01