Splash must think all the little red maple tree buds that fell outside in the rain yesterday are kibble because he wants to eat them all! Are these okay for him to eat? Or do I need to break out the leaf sucker and vacuum them up before he does?
Is it a true red maple? Or is it a Norway maple that has red/burgundy leaves?A potent killer of horses and ponies is the native red maple (Acer rubrum), also known as a soft maple. Ingestion of wilted red maple leaves causes hemolytic anemia, which can be deadly. The toxic ingredient in red maple leaves is not known but only seems to be present in wilted leaves from June to October. Older wilted leaves cause faster poisoning than wilted leaves of early summer growth. This indicates that the amount of toxin increases in leaves during the summer.
Its a silver maple, it drops these little red thingies (I think they are flowers?) every spring.
I would call a vet and ask. They should know.
~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.