Allergic to Grass?!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allergic to Grass?!

LuckyGirl is offline Senior Member

DefaultAllergic to Grass?!

No it's not a joke. I swear Sam is allergic to grass, his allergies explode in spring/summer. Anybody else have this problem? The poor guy is constantly on antihistimines. He also has chronic ear infections, they clear up, we start back on drops, it goes away. It comes back in a week.

He's currently on a grain free diet. Inova to be exact.
    Nothing cures a bad mood like a Labrador ... or more in your lap!

Happy 15, Emma 8. RIP Lucky September 6, 2005 - June 7 2013 Sam-Wise March 11, 2006 - May 11, 2016

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

No problems here. Have you had any tests done to see for sure?

good luck

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

One of my human kids has seasonal allergies, and I think Bauer has them too. They seem to have symptoms at the same time. I give Bauer Benedryl when he seems itchy, it seems to help him. It is only at certain times of the year, so I know that it isn't diet related for him.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LuckyGirl is offline Senior Member

Sam has them year round, but spring is horrible to him, summer gets a bit better. I give him benedryl...I swear he's going to itch off his paws or something. I tossed him in a cold shower to cool off his skin...that worked all of 5 minutes. Our vet hasn't done any allergy test on him. After he bloated for the THIRD TIME (thankfully no twisting) she put him on science diet for the easier digestion, but he lost a lot of weight on that so he was switched back to his Inova which helped him out. We're considering going to California Natural, I'm about to put a cone on him or something if he doesn't stop scratching/gnawing so much. He already has thin hair on his underside, from...well he's sam.

He also has seizures...we were seizure free for over 18months, but he had two in under a month so the vet put him back on his meds for that as well. I hate putting him on steroids for his itching because it really effects his behavior as well.
    Nothing cures a bad mood like a Labrador ... or more in your lap!

Happy 15, Emma 8. RIP Lucky September 6, 2005 - June 7 2013 Sam-Wise March 11, 2006 - May 11, 2016

Yelloweyz is offline Senior Member

Mine have a mold allergy, so in the fall and spring when the grass doesnt get a chance to dry...their allergies are HORRIBLE. Indy gets runny eyes and chews his paws; Jobe gets runny eyes and smelly ears; and Annie gets all of the above. Benadryl twice a day has always helped ours.

Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).

Random Gemini is offline Senior Member

Innova is not a grain free kibble. It's a GOOD kibble, but it contains barley, brown rice and white rice... all of which are in fact, grains.

If the allergies blow up in spring/summer, then it's definitely environmental. I, myself, am allergic to grass. It only bugs me when its freshly cut. Lucy is allergic to pine and sage brush pollen.

The best thing for environmental allergies, IMO, is to get your dog tested for them to see what he is allergic to and if you can eliminate that plant from your yard. Where I live, there is no way to eliminate pine or sage brush pollen, so Lucy is on a maintenance dose of benadryl 75 mg, twice daily. This seems to keep her allergies in check. There are other antihistamines you can look into if you're not comfortable giving benadryl. Just... don't get sucked into giving your dog prednisone or temaril p. Steroids do not help as much as a daily antihistamine regimen does. I've been down BOTH roads, and seen the difference.

Good luck.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I feel like a broken record.... but all of you folks w/ allergy/immune issues really need to try MSM. It has helped MY personal allergies. It also helps w/ connective tissue issues, cartilage, inflammation, etc. Very cheap if you buy it at the feed stores for horses, etc--- 100% pure. Give your pup 1000mg (1/4 teas) 2x a day to start with. You'll hve to pour water over their food and that water will taste sulfury, but that's what MSM is...a much needed sulfur source. Kibble (or any processed) diets are deficient in sulfur.

Also try finding a good holistic vet. They seem to understand the whole nutrition topic so much better.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

My golden has terrible allergies. Ear infections, yeast infections and raw paw pads from constant licking and chewing of her feet, she scratches her chin and mouth area till she bleeds and has broken most of her whiskers off, and she gets a good bacterial infection 3 - 4 times a year from itching.

When she was around 1 we took her to a animal allergist and did a food trial for 6 weeks. Off of any protein she had ever had and no grain. No treats, cookies or even flavored toys.The poor girl ate a diet of sweet potato and pinto beans. However, no change in her allergy symptoms. So a food allergy was ruled out. The allergist recommended that instead of doing the blood/scratch test which costs hundreds of dollars to figure out what she is allergic too (because it could be everything/anything - dust, grass & tree pollen, mold...you name it) that we just try medications until we found something that works. NOT steriods. (Though we do have to do short term treatments when she gets really bad in May and November usually)

We ended up using Hydroxyzine after trying Benadryl, Zyrtec, Claritin and ... something else. That worked for her for several years and seemed to take the edge off.

Now it seems we're back to square one. So now at 5 years old we are taking her back to the allergist next month and having the allergy testing done to see exactly what she is allergic to. And then we are trying immunotherapy. She can't spend the rest of her life in the cone of despair and I can't stand to watch her writhe into the carpet trying to scratch her whole body.

So, you may want to talk to your vet about doing a food trial to be sure it is not anything in the food. Remember, it may not even be the grain used, but something in the processing of the food. Food allergies, as annoying as they can be, are at least easier to control. If you think its environmental...talk to your vet about different antihistamines you can try. Doses for animals are different for people and it takes at least 2 weeks for many of these meds to start building up in their system and really take effect.

Let me know if you're interested in how the allergy testing went because I can come back and post on that next month.
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Goldens are notorious for allergies. Shelby had them the last 2 years of her life.

MakinASplash is offline Member

Sorry, Im a newby and I would be willing to bet there is a good post about it somewhere. What is MSM? My neighbor's lab has terrible allergies and I would like to share the information with her.

Splash born December 2010
    Marley 1997 to April 2011 (RIP sweet girl)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast