Puppy with Elbow Dysplasia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy with Elbow Dysplasia

Gunner is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy with Elbow Dysplasia

I took my puppy into the vet because he was limping and found out after x-rays he has elbow dysplasia, now what? I got him from a very well known breeder, been breeding since 1978, he was more then helpful and offered to give me another pup but I can't take another one in. The Labs are breed for hunting and full on energy so now what? He doesn't complain about the leg but does struggle and is only 4 months old, does anyone have experience with this? Can the dogs live a productive life?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

What kind of clearances did the parents have and I suppose no clause in the contract for a refund in the event you don't want or can't take another puppy?

What kind of Elbow Dysplasia did the vet say your dog had? There are several forms. Some can be operated on and some can't. I had a dog with FCP and we were able to operate and remove the bone chips, and the dog is fine.

Usually with supplements, monitoring weight, etc. they can still work and enjoy life.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

No advice - I am sorry you and your pup are suffering with this. That is extraordinarily young for ED (I guess - no personal experience). Could he have overdone it/over extended or somehow injured it? I know sometimes puppies can develop HD from excessive exercise.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

Sorry about your pup...Lola has severe HD in both hips, she does very well on the joint supplement Phycox ( think that's the spelling) keeping her weight down is a struggle sometimes, but it is sooo important. Sorry I can't offer any advice, but prayers for your pup.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    No advice - I am sorry you and your pup are suffering with this. That is extraordinarily young for ED (I guess - no personal experience)...
    I don't know about the age, Sharon, but I do know this is the second pup I've heard of with ED. Someone from Top Dog has a pup who was finally RXed with it. He was limping since he was about 4 months old. I'm looking for a link she posted of where she took her guy.

ETA- this is where here pup was finally diagnosied VOSM.COM. He had surgery, but I'm not sure if it was at that place or somewhere closer to home (we're in NJ).
    Last edited by MicksMom; 04-20-2011 at 09:14 AM.

Yelloweyz is offline Senior Member

My Indy boy was diagnosed with bilateral elbow dysplasia as a pup. We had his first surgery done at a year (they recommended this), then the second one done six months later. The one thing they urged was to keep him mobile after his healing time, ie. we would walk at least one mile every day. His elbows did fine after the surgery and he did well for 8 years until he blew his knee out. I never regretted getting the surgery as he was able to walk for about 3 miles tops before he tired out. Michigan State did his surgeries and they were exceptional.

Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

OP, I'm sorry to read that about your pup. My vet used to breed Labs and she's told me that she's seen Labs dx'd as early as 4mos. It's usually a pretty serious case requiring surgery when they come up lame that young. I'd be curious to know what the vertical pedigree looked like as far as elbow clearances go. Some breeders haven't been doing elbows very long, and like anything else, there are lines that aren't as clean as others. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your puppy. The first thing I would recommend is a 2nd opinion.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

Spike limps but for a couple of days after he goes to playgroup or if he jumps off a bench we have on the porch that he likes to sit on. Is this something I should get checked out?

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

lisa is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spike's Mom View Post
    Spike limps but for a couple of days after he goes to playgroup or if he jumps off a bench we have on the porch that he likes to sit on. Is this something I should get checked out?
    I wouldn't worry to much, he may just be over doing it a bit. How old is he now? Is it his front leg he limps on or his back leg?
    Last edited by lisa; 04-21-2011 at 07:50 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast