Poe's puking

Thread: Poe's puking

nicidee is offline Junior Member

UnhappyPoe's puking

My 1-yr old black lab has recently developed some sporadic vomiting issues. She occasionally throws up a little after running around outside and then proceeding to drink a lot of water immediately afterwards. Vet says it's just sensitive stomach - nothing to be worried about - and recommended changing her food. And she doesn't do it all the time, maybe once every couple weeks. It's very sporadic and I have no idea why she throws up sometimes, and sometimes not.

Anyway, last night was one of those times. She ran around and barked like a maniac at a stray cat that was taunting her right outside the fence, came back in the house and drank a lot of water, and promptly yakked right on the carpet. But this time when I went to clean it up, I noticed it was not watery like normal. Last night she puked up this big glob of thick, white mucousy stuff. There was nothing in it, no color to it, and it wasn't frothy or clear - just white and very thick and sticky, like mucous. And she was perfectly normal for the rest of the night after throwing up...well, normal for her anyway!

I didn't know if this was something I should call the vet about this or not, since I've already brought her in once for the vomiting issue, and she is not showing any other symptoms that would lead me to believe that there is something else going on (no coughing or anything else unusual, poop is normal, etc.). My friend who is a vet tech said I should keep an eye on her and if she shows any other symptoms, then I should bring her in. Just thought I would see if anyone else had any similar experiences or advice...thanks!

~Nici

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

If she has no other symptoms I would not worry too much. One of mine periodically drinks too much water and hurks it all up - so endearing!

If this usually happens when she drinks after exertion, I would lift up the water bowl until she is calmer.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

nicidee is offline Junior Member

Thanks - that's kinda what I figured. My sister has a border terrier that does the same thing - runs around like crazy, gulps down some water, and then yaks it right up again.

My main concern was the icky glob that came up last time. Definitely not the usual. But it's been a couple days and she seems fine, and no more puking incidents as of late! I will try elevating her water bowl too to see if that helps. Right now I have her dishes in a double-diner style, on the floor, but I can always get a separate dish for water.

Thanks again,
    Nici

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Is the water too cold? My old lab can't tolerate anything too cold. He'll vomit up cold water if he drinks too much or even ice cream if we give him a treat.

kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

How often do you feed her? Also, restrict her water intake after exercise, don't allow her to drink so much, see if there is an improvement.

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson