What are you doing for your lab's arthritis?

Thread: What are you doing for your lab's arthritis?

Daisy's Dad is offline Junior Member

DefaultWhat are you doing for your lab's arthritis?

My yellow lab, Daisy, just turned 8 and has been showing arthritic signs for quite some time. I had her on Cosequin, and now she's on Dasuquin (for over a year). Drugs at this point in time, like Rimadyl, are out of the question right now. I'm shopping for some type of above-ground swimming pool so that she can swim this summer for exercise...any suggestions on brand/type? Also, her vet is very happy about her 72 pound weight....so weight isn't really an issue. My question is....has anyone had any good results with other supplements or herbal concoctions? What's up with Phycox? There's just so much information on the internet, and it's hard to sort through it all...

Thanks for your responses in advance. I love my dog as much as anything in this world, and I just want to do all I can for her.

Daisy's Dad

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

Our vet recommended fish oil as well as the glucosamine/chondroitin (both human versions, as it was more economical). I didn't notice a difference, but my lab mix Cammy was about 13 when she started showing arthritis symptoms. Fish oil may help a younger dog like Daisy.

blaisberg is offline Member

Charlie is 7 and has degenerative joint disease in both his hocks so has had arthritis for years. Because he's so young, I won't put him on Rimadyl or any NSAID at this point. He's on Tramadol (not an NSAID but very effective to manage pain and won't hurt his liver like the others), and for about a year, Dasuquin AND Trixsyn. Once I started these last two, he's been really good. He had stopped going up stairs at night and we'd have to carry him, but shortly after adding these, he goes upstairs several times a day. I've tried cutting back on one or the other, and he stops the stairs again, so I'm guessing it's the combination.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Java does not have arthritis...yet. She is only 2, but she had ACL repairs on both knees at 13 months old, so arthritis is definitely in her future.
    She is on Grizzly Salmon Oil for the Omegas, Hylasport (Gluc/chond/MSM & HA), Vit. C (1000 mg a day), Vit. E (200 iu every other day), and additional MSM.
    So far it's working great-even in the really cold weather (she has steel plates in both legs). She's never stiff or sore.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Canine Hylasport