I have a question for anyone who is a dog professional or someone who has experienced this.
My 1 1/2 year old chocolate lab experience what I believe to be a Partial seizure. She is normally a VERY hyper active, always in your face, over the top dog. ( she is a lab, remember ) I came home for lunch around 12:30, she greeted me as normal, right at the door, tail wagging, up my butt so to speak. I sat down on the couch, she climbed up and laid down next to me, and then she snapped her head back onto my lap and her whole body started to shake. Her back legs were worse than the rest of her body. she was yelping like she was hurt. After about a min or so, she calmed down, but her back legs didn't. They kept tremoring. She appeared conscious but very dazed. After that I put pressure on all of her back legs, front legs, head, belly, and she showed no sign of pain. no yelping, no favoring a spot i touched. I immediately called the vet, and she said to bring her in. For the rest of the day, she layed in her crate where she usually goes when shes not feeling well ( she has a very sensitive stomach she she throws up a lot - also checked out by my vet ) When i got home from work, she didnt greet me. she was just on the couch, looking at me in the doorway. I came over and sat down and she tried to greet me, but the tremors started again. I then called my vet and said she needed to come in. I brought her down, explained all of this to my vet. They did a blood test of her liver, kidney, cell count and all that because they wanted to rule out her ingesting something toxic. Everything came back normal. She had a slight fever, and her gums were more pink than usual. ( they were never pale, nor foaming at the mouth ). Vet said to monitor her and if it happened again for more than 3 min, take her to an emergency hospital tonight.
This is where im confused. When we got home she seemed normal. Was greeting visitors and family members fine. When it was time to feed her, She would not sit for me. ( i am a dog trainer and my dog will sit on command for anything - especially food )It took me 5 minuets to finally get her to sit. After she ate, I put slight pressure again on her back legs and she yelped and turned around and snapped at me. She was not experiencing any pain in her back legs prior to the vets. I was leaning twords that she had a seizure, but now im highly confused as to why she is experience hip/leg pain, and severe. If anyone knows anything on seizures and if back/hip/leg pain is common with it, I would greatly appreciate any advise you have.
Thank you again
I o not have experience with this but paddy's mom does so you could message her. Could she have hurt herslef when you were at work? Like hit a table?
~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.
If it were me, I'd have her checked by a holistic vet who does chiropractic, etc. She could have thrown out her back at or near the lower lumbar area.
WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014
Seizures are hard to pinpoint. It's not epilepsy unless the dog has frequent episodes. Right now you are still in a holding pattern. I have a dog that seizes. I've experienced 3 Grand Mals about 5-6 months apart. The dog vomits, runs to me, falls on his side, shakes from head to toe, empties bowels and bladder for about 1-1 1/2 minutes. He comes to, is wary for about 5 minutes, and then is back to normal. Blood tests don't tell me squat. We found a low thyroid once, but the next time it happened again and thyroid was fine. Then he was off his meds for awhile, happened again, thyroid was fine again. Until they happen regularly over a few days, we can't do anything.
Make sure you rule out EVERYTHING. Household chemicals, garden chemicals, some dogs are affected by Febreeze, Wrinkle Release produces, aerosol sprays...consider food without alot of additives, look into probiotics, get the dog as healthy mind/body as possible so that when/if it happens again, you have a better idea of possible triggers.
I had a dog with seizures that ultimately were found to be symptomatic of Lyme disease. Once she was properly treated for the lyme, she had no recurrance.
I agree with the above recommendation to find a canine chiropractor.
Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.
Thanks for all of the replies. Lyme disease was ruled out, household chemicals are ruled out as well. There is nothing toxic in her body. We brought her back to the vets today. She didn't throw her back out, as my vet said her muscles were a little soar from the tremors. We are going to monitor it for now and if it happens again we will discuss medication for the dog. Pebbles is back to her normal self now, Playing with her toys and greeting everyone. thanks again for everyones imput!