New puppy, is she going to hurt herself?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New puppy, is she going to hurt herself?

Maisy is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew puppy, is she going to hurt herself?

We recently picked up our 12 wk old white lab puppy. She likes to play but I am worried because she whines so hard in her crate at bedtime she sounds as if she is hyperventilating! Is she going to hurt herself? She also just wonders around sometimes and whine, and then just plop down on the floor... Confusing!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

That is a puppy thing. she is missing her mom and playmates and is scared. Can you move the crate into your room?
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Dio did that when we first brought him home. We moved the crate into our room, next to me on the floor actually. When he would cry or whine, I'd stick my hand in front of the crate, he'd sniff, and fall asleep. Another thing that worked was we had a toy from his home that he slept with. It smelled like his littermates and it seemed to work. Your pup will get over it in time, just try not to pick her up whenever she cries.
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Your yellow (not white) puppy will not hurt herself by whining. As the others have said - it's a tough transition from being with other dogs/puppies to being alone. Moving the crate to your bedroom may be comforting to her. But - if you can't do that you just need to ignore her. She will adjust to the routine of being crated at bedtime and eventually will put herself to bed in the crate. We have a crate still up for our younger dog and he electively crates himself during the day when he just wants to be alone.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Maisy is offline Junior Member

Thank you for the advice, we ended up letting her out last night, but from now on we will have to ignore! She is in our room. We have another dog so she helps up keep her wore out before bedtime!

Quote Originally Posted by Maisy View Post
    Thank you for the advice, we ended up letting her out last night, but from now on we will have to ignore! She is in our room. We have another dog so she helps up keep her wore out before bedtime!
    LOL - you might find that she tries a little harder tonight. Once she sees that whining/complaining works to get her sprung - she will keep it up longer. I used to cover Blaise's crate with a sheet or light blanket when he was small so he did not have any visual stimulus keeping him interested. Helped quiet him down quicker. But you have an older puppy and that could backfire if she decides to pull in and chew on the sheet.

Mudinyeri is offline Member

Admittedly, it's a tough time for a pup. They've recently left their family behind and been hauled off to a new place that seems very different and, perhaps, scary.

With that said, they're dogs. Not humans. Try the following:

1. When it's time for your new pup to be put in her crate, give her a command like "crate" or "kennel up".
    2. You might put a favorite toy of hers in the crate as you're giving the command. She'll most likely follow the toy into the crate.
    3. Close the crate and shut off the lights in the room. Leave the room and make sure everyone else in the house keeps clear of the room.

On a side note: I don't like covering indoor crates with anything as it cuts down on air circulation. Your dog is already wearing a fur coat indoors. She doesn't need the added heat of no circulation.

4. When your pup starts to whine, go sit next to the crate. Do not make eye contact or talk to her. Usually, they will stop whining for a bit when you sit down next to the crate.
    5. When your pup starts to whine again, tell her "no noise" in a sharp, somewhat loud voice.
    6. If she whines again, escalate. Couple the "no noise" command with a slap on the top of the crate. This works really well on the plastic crates.
    7. If she whines again, escalate some more. Couple the "no noise" command with rattling or shaking the crate.

I've rarely had to repeat Step 7 more than a couple times for a pup to get the message. Occasionally, she will need a reminder though. She is a puppy after all.
    Last edited by Mudinyeri; 04-11-2011 at 09:04 PM.

deidra is offline Senior Member

I wouldnt rattle the crate! That can make the pup scared of it! Just ignore her and do some training during the say and when she is quite for 5 mintues let ehr out fro a little so she knows that it is not a jail cell
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

roux is offline Junior Member

Before you crate her make sure she is mentally and physically tired and try popping a raw bone or a kong in there so she assocaites going in there with something nice...by the time she has finished her kong she will more than likely flop out and go to sleep with no bother.

Quote Originally Posted by roux View Post
    Before you crate her make sure she is mentally and physically tired and try popping a raw bone or a kong in there so she assocaites going in there with something nice...by the time she has finished her kong she will more than likely flop out and go to sleep with no bother.
    Yes on the Kong, but I would not give a raw bone unsupervised to a puppy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast