Rescued Chocolate Lab with mange

Thread: Rescued Chocolate Lab with mange

CaseyRileyBaileyMom is offline Junior Member

ExclamationRescued Chocolate Lab with mange

Hi there! I've got a question for all you wonderful Lab experts: what has given you the best results when treating demodectic mange?

I found a little Chocolate Lab mix at the school where I teach back in February and decided on the spot to rescue adopt her (named her Bailey). It was obvious to me she had been neglected but she was VERY sweet and not at all afraid of people. I noticed she had a bit of a skin issue under her chin and around her mouth but figured she just needed to be taken care of properly...

She was diagnosed with demodectic mange and the vet recommended Promeris. I did some research before buying any and using it - honestly, what I read about it scared me to death. I decided not to use it, going instead with Goodwinol ointment.

After applying the ointment for about two weeks, I noticed the mange seemed to be spreading rather than getting better. Her face is now worse and she has some spots on her back, sides, and legs. I stopped using the ointment because it seemed to make her bald patches look irritated and sore.

Long story short, nothing seems to be working. I found some stuff from Dermasil (Dermisil?) online and ordered it, but haven't tried it yet. Yes, it's a lime-sulfur shampoo which I understand will smell pretty bad...

I was just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this issue and how you resolved it. Bailey is about 1 year old according to the vet and is now in great health except for her mange. I've seen some suggestions that demodex will clear up on its own, but it's hard for me to sit and do nothing, especially when it seems to be spreading. Luckily she's not itching like mad and scratching herself all to heck, but I'm afraid it's just a matter of time.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Kat

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I'd go with what the vet has recommended... OTC remedies have their place, but sometimes we need to use the prescription stuff.

CaseyRileyBaileyMom is offline Junior Member

Well, normally I would but after reading about Promeris I'm afraid to. I've read that it can also affect my other animals if they ingest it accidentally - for example, if Bailey and Riley are playing like they do and Riley gets some in her mouth, it could be toxic to her. Similarly, if Bailey happens to rub some of it off on the furniture and the cats are in contact with it, it could kill them. That's not something I'm willing to risk. I've read a ton of horror stories about this stuff, which is why I hesitate.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'd use the vets recommendation and isolate her in a crate except for potty breaks. Can't your other animals contract mange from her? If you don't agree with the vet find a different vet - but - you need to get it under control before you have a bald dog.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

deidra is offline Senior Member

I would use what the vet recommended and keep her in a crate or in a room. She also doesnt need to be playing with the other dogs while she has mange.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Jessica.B is offline Member

My puppy has demodex mange as well. The vet we were going to also suggested promeris and after I did research on it there is no way I'd be comfortable with it. Especially since my dog seems to be really sensitive with a lot of things. Vaccines and food to name a couple. The vet prescribed Pyoben Gel twice a day for 3 weeks. It's been 3 weeks now and no change. I have changed vets though and I absolutely love the new vet. He wants to stop treatment for awhile and see what happens once we clear up some other issues she's having since stress is a major factor in getting mange in the first place. He did say though if we need to resume treatment then there is some oral meds to try and not promeris. So we just stopped treatment and I'm hoping once we get her eating problems under control then she won't be stressed and the mange will clear up.

It's possible this dog you rescued contracted the mange due to stress from whatever was happening to him. And maybe once he feels safe and secure with you then it will clear up. My new vet is optimistic that my Princess will get over her mange on her own in time and he said that most do.

Jessica.B is offline Member

And also both of the vets assured me that the demodectic mange is not contagious at all. There is another mange that starts with an S that is very contagious to other animals and humans as well. But with demodex mange they can safely be around other animals with no problems at all. I specifically made sure on this because we are frequently around other dogs and both vets assured me it was okay. I still went home and researched it just to be sure and its definitely not contagious.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Demodectic mange is not contagious. We all have demodex mites on us - it's usually young puppies or older immunosuppressed dogs (cancer, other illness, etc.) that can't keep the demodex mites in check and get demodectic mange. Sarcoptic mange is highly contagious to other animals and people.

You can also give oral ivermectin to treat demodex. That's what I'd do personally. Treat until you have two negative consecutive skin scrapings to check for the mites. I'd also be looking for any other problems that could've lead to the demodex being able to take hold (in the OP's case probably malnutrition).

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy