Can see the ribs..

Thread: Can see the ribs..

Cherry is offline Junior Member

DefaultCan see the ribs..

I can see the ribs on my puppy. Does that really mean that she's too thin? She's a cross breed so that makes it harder to guess the right weight. We took her to a vet in Jan and she said that her weight is normal.

Except the ribs, she seems to be absolutely fine. Full of energy and the coat is fine too.

In past week or so we've seen her lick the food bowl couple of times so I think maybe she's hungry but we're feeding her the amount that's on the food package.

Should we try the high energy active food for her? She plays a lot so maybe she's burning too much calories?
    Puppy details:

Female Black Labrador Cross adopted from rescue shelter.
    Date of birth: 30th July 2010

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

She may be like Tank and have a high matabolism. I have to feed him more than the package says and those things are also never accurate. What is here mix? How old is she? Purina.Com | Dog | Caring | Understanding your Dog's Body Condition Looka t the chart and rate her. What are you feeding her?
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

If she is growing and gaining she is probably fine. For many breeds, (hounds for example) proper body condition includes visible ribs. There is a difference between visible and protruding.

You pup is now 8 months old, correct? I guess you could up the food a bit - but I would not feed the performance food unless you are really heavily exercising her.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

A picture would help ?

Cherry is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by deidra View Post
    She may be like Tank and have a high matabolism. I have to feed him more than the package says and those things are also never accurate. What is here mix? How old is she? Purina.Com | Dog | Caring | Understanding your Dog's Body Condition Looka t the chart and rate her. What are you feeding her?
    She looks to be in the good range according to the chart. I'm feeding her local made dog food.It goes well with her and it's affordable too. Other food brands I've tried leave her with gas.

She's about 8 months. Regarding the mix, we're not sure. She has a build of a greyhound and face of a labrador. So I think it's a lab-greyhound mix.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    If she is growing and gaining she is probably fine. For many breeds, (hounds for example) proper body condition includes visible ribs. There is a difference between visible and protruding.

You pup is now 8 months old, correct? I guess you could up the food a bit - but I would not feed the performance food unless you are really heavily exercising her.
    Yes I'm slowly upping the food. I'm probably feeding her lot more that what's suggested on the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    A picture would help ?
    Good idea, I'll see if I can post some pictures by tomorrow.
    Puppy details:

Female Black Labrador Cross adopted from rescue shelter.
    Date of birth: 30th July 2010