HELP? Inflammatory bowel or lymphosarcoma :(

Thread: HELP? Inflammatory bowel or lymphosarcoma :(

JillT is offline Junior Member

DefaultHELP? Inflammatory bowel or lymphosarcoma :(

Hello

This is my first post here, I have been googling for info and came across this website. There is so much info here that I figured someone may be able to help us with our much loved buddy, Bailee.

He is almost four, and is my best mate (with exception to my hubby of course!) He presented just three weeks ago with his abdomen, scrotum & rear legs full of fluid (basically happened overnight); very low protien levels (both albumin & globulin); and diarrhoea. Our vet opened him up to find his pancreas bloated with fluid, & abdomen full of bloody fluid, but all else appeared as it should ie no obvious lumps or thickenings. He was on a diuretic overnight to reduce the fluid & carefully monitored so as not to lose too much more protein. He also had a protein infusion to increase his levels.

He recovered from this all quite well & is outwardly a happy chappy, doing everything pretty much as he always has .. however continued loose bowel motions/diarrhoea and protein levels continuing to drop, albeit slowly, has us sick with worry. He has been on a low fat diet since this happened, small regular meals to aid digestion. The vet has told us that the inevitable is around the corner .. as his protein continues to drop, the fluid will build up again, and she has told us that is it, it would be 'time'

We have done so many tests, ruling out so many things, and have come down to IBD or lymphosarcoma, but still don't have a conclusive answer .. ultrasound is an option, but apparently if it shows a thickening of the intestine wall, it's still doesn't point directly to either??

As his protein drops further, and he starts to get the fluid build up again, how can we make a decision to let him go peacefully, if we don't know if he has a cancer, or treatable IBD?

Does anyone have any input that may help us? Have you been through this with your doggie??

Thanks in advance for any of your thoughts,
    Jill
    He's not "just a dog" ~ he's so much more than that

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

Hi Jill

I see you're in N QLD. Where? How far away from Gatton are you? MAYBE the UQ vet centre can help?

UQ Veterinary Medical Centre - School of Veterinary Science - The University of Queensland, Australia

Poor guy. I hope you can get him sorted out soon. That's no fun for anyone - especially the dog.

Hi Garth,

I'm in Far Nth Qld about an hour west of Cairns.

Our vet really is great, but we still need a more definate diagnosis, be it good or bad. I will check out the UQ vet centre though, thanks for the link.

It's sure isn't any fun ...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

I'd second Garth's recommendation to try the university. A biopsy would be helpful, it's a shame they didn't take one at the time of his first surgery. Have they ruled out lymphangiectasia? And other ways to lose protein (kidneys, liver)? You might try budesonide to see if that improves his signs (it's on oral steroid that isn't absorbed systemically and thus just works on the inflammed gut). With the pancreas problems I'd be inclined to ultrasound to check that out and make sure that isn't somehow connected to the protein loss. You could also try adding enzymes to treat any possible EPI to his food and see if that helps. Good thoughts for you and your boy - it's so hard to see them sick, please keep us updated.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

They didn't biopsy at the time of surgery because all looked ok in there at the time he said, but in hindsight .. it would have been helpful. Lymphangiectasia has been ruled out, and all tests done for kidney/liver/heart have been normal, as have faeces tests, no nasty bacterias even.

I will check out budesonide, thanks - and I am leaning towards an ultrasound too, we have access to that about an hour away which is fine. My biggest question is WHY is his protein dropping? That's the key right now I think. I will question the enzymes too, what is EPI?! Thanks for your good thoughts He's a special boy (they all are!)

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

EPI is exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. If dogs have really bad bouts of pancreatitis or have recurrent bouts their pancreas can basically scar and stop producing the enzymes that allow them to digest food. Since on his initial surgery it sounds like his pancreas was grossly abnormal I wouldn't rule out continued pancreatic problems right off the bat. In the US there's a bloodtest to rule out EPI, or you can just add the digestive enzymes to the food and see if they dog improves. I'm not sure exactly how that would tie in with the protein loss but it could explain the diarrhea (maldigestion).

It seems odd to me too that the initial fluid in his abdomen was bloody. Did they culture the fluid or do cytology? If it was just due to low protein it (theoretically) should've just been an effusion and not bloody. Also seems odd that only the rear end of his body was affected (everything caudal to the thorax). No fluid in his chest? Front legs normal? Maybe a thoracic duct blockage of some sort could explain the protein loss into just the abdomen and rear legs/scrotum.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

kassabella is offline Senior Member

That is correct if a ultra sounds shows thickening it could be either. Ernie has IBD.From what I understand the only way to diagnose it correctly is biopsy. They can do this laporoscopy(sp) so not as invasive as surgery.

Here is our story so might help. Erns kept getting sicker. He didn't have the fluid build up so don't know what that is. Could it 2 different things you are dealing with. Erns had several things going on which made testing harder.
    He was diagnosed with IBD and put on a course of 6 month Pred with prescription diet. Nothing else. Not a morsel of anything. He slowly improved and was weaned off the pred, but his gut became unstable again and so back on it. He just needs to eat one bit of Gems kibble and he is off again. Depending on what he eats he can become very sick.
    IBD is very painful for them and as he has HD we presumed the reason he had trouble sitting or standing was this, when in fact it was his gut.We nearly lost him.

I have worked out he has a few signs his gut isn't right. He licks air constantly, his gut rumbles, gas that clears the room, then the vomit and diarrohea.

But most of all...dont give up.... dont take the vets advise tyo let him go. They told me that. If it were me I would go to another vet and get a second opion. As I did with Erns and the IBD was finally diagnosed.

Good luck and good thoughts.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

bett is offline Senior Member

i would go to another vet asap.
    they opened him up and didnt take tissue samples? that seems a bit odd to me, but of course, i'm not a vet.

Thanks everyone for your words of advice and good wishes, it is much appreciated ... Bailee is still hanging in with us and is still wagging his happy tail We have done more tests, but the signs of lymphoma are much more evident now. I am beside myself knowing that we will be losing him, but so thankful that he is still an outwardly happy boy, giving us (& everyone he sees!) as much love as he always has. He is still pulling off my socks & helping me around the house, all of which he does with great pride & pleasure .. in between trying to sneak outside with things he has 'borrowed'!!

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I can't offer any advice, but I am sending prayers and good thoughts that your wonderful boy can be helped and healed, soon!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy