Puppy/adult food question

Thread: Puppy/adult food question

JandRBurns is offline Member

DefaultPuppy/adult food question

Hi, Our vet told us to switch our dog from puppy food to adult food when he reaches 75 pounds. The vet was very insistent that switching to adult food at 75 pounds was important because puppy food has more fat and a higher caloric content than adult food. At 8 months, Roscoe is now almost 75 pounds and he's been on Wellness Super 5 Mix Large Breed Puppy Health Recipe. Our question is this: When Roscoe hits 75 pounds, which could be any week now, should we switch to adult dog food even though Roscoe is still a puppy and is four months short of being a year old? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

He's plenty old enough to be on adult food.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

It depends entirely on which adult food you plan on feeding. If you're going grain-free, he's still too young for most of those diets (EVO, Wellness CORE, most of the Orijen formulas). If you're feeding a "regular" diet like ProPlan or Wellness Super 5 Adult mixes he's fine to switch

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

I switched Java to adult food at 5 months old.
    Moka switched to adult food at 9 months old, but that was because she had broken her leg at 4 months old and I wanted the extra nutrition in puppy food while she healed.

Roscoe is plenty old enough to switch to adult food.

labby is offline Senior Member

Watch your calcium content of whatever food you switch to. As mentioned, most grain-free food is higher in calcium than other "regular" food. I tell my puppy buyers to switch from puppy food at 3-4 months of age.

Laura

ParaLab is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    Watch your calcium content of whatever food you switch to. As mentioned, most grain-free food is higher in calcium than other "regular" food. I tell my puppy buyers to switch from puppy food at 3-4 months of age.
    To which Pro Plan Adult Food do you recommend they switch to? The All Life Stages Chicken and Rice?

labby is offline Senior Member

You can switch to any of them except for the Shredded blends. I switched Raven to the ProPlan Chicken and Rice, but then the store quit carrying it so I put her on the ProPlan Selects Chicken and Brown Rice. Then I got tired of feeding 3 different foods, especially when I travel, so I put her on the Salmon and Brown Rice, which is what Jake eats and Jake generally goes everywhere with me when I travel. I tried the ProPlan Performance with Raven, but it was too much for her yet, so she's back on the other food. Raven is 9 months old and not yet done growing.

Laura

ParaLab is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    You can switch to any of them except for the Shredded blends. I switched Raven to the ProPlan Chicken and Rice, but then the store quit carrying it so I put her on the ProPlan Selects Chicken and Brown Rice. Then I got tired of feeding 3 different foods, especially when I travel, so I put her on the Salmon and Brown Rice, which is what Jake eats and Jake generally goes everywhere with me when I travel. I tried the ProPlan Performance with Raven, but it was too much for her yet, so she's back on the other food. Raven is 9 months old and not yet done growing.
    Thanks Labby. My Bella is 9 months old also. I had her on Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy and then very gradually switched her to the Kirkland about 2 months ago. This issue I am having (and I previously posted this) is that ever since the switch, she has an odor that she didn't have prior. Took her to the vet and everything checks out (ears, anal glands, etc). Even gave her a bath. No resolution. If I take my hands and rub her coat down to her skin, my hands get a cheesy odor. And at times, my house has that same odor. It is driving me nuts. So I figure I would try switching her food. Since alot of people on this forum get good results with Pro Plan, I am going to give it a try.