Hello, we are desperate for info ideas, suggestions, anything! Our vets are clueless - our regular vets and a specialist and we just dont know what to do. We have two lab brothers that turned 2 in November. Crichton is yellow and Dargo is chocolate. Dargo is very, very ill and we are completely lost... it started 2 weeks ago with him not eating for a few days and there were signs that something was wrong with his teeth - eating on one side of his mouth. We took him in to vet on Friday, both pups got their vaccinations and the vet thought his back molar was cracked with root exposure. Gave us vetprofin and scheduled extraction for Tuesday. Dargo was back to normal from the pills and all was well. Took him in on Tuesday, they sedated Dargo and as it turned out - no cracked tooth, did dental cleaning, vet felt that maybe he punctured his gum, no sign of any problems. Thought he heard a heart murmur, wasnt concerned, just said something to watch. A few days later, Dargo is not eating and is very lethargic and just not right. Took him back, high fever of 104 - they hospitalized him for the night, put him on fluids, injections for fever, etc. Saturday had us pick him up as he wasnt doing well at the hosp (being boarded) and there was nothing they could do. Tests showed that his white blood cell count was extremely low (4%), mild anemia, blood panel normal, liver enzyme a little high. They suggested a tick panel but we had plently of reasons to think not so we declined. Stopped vetprofin but put him on Rimadyl & Doxycycline. Monitored temperature every 2 hours, finally Sunday afternoon after a bath, it broke and we have been able to control since. Dargo was doing well till Monday night when he started sneezing and his breathing seemed like he was congested. Tuesday after discussing with vet, we brought him to an internal specialist. The specialist waived off the sneezing as secondary and wanted to attack the low white blood count. after $3000 worth of estimates on all the tests they want to perform to rule things out - we went for chest/lung xray, urine test and rework of blood count. Dargo will not take his pills on his own and wont eat anything but treats. Specialist wants us to finish out rimadyl - doesnt feel he needs it and doubled dose of doxycycline and extended it for 28 days. This morning we wake up to vomit, sneezing blood and he still wont eat. Take him to vet, no idea, nothing they can do for nose. Tried to skull xray but he wont sit still and vet doesnt want to sedate him or even have him at the vet since his immune system is so weak. Agreed to tick panel and sent home, told to come back if he gets worse and to stop rimadyl. Calls from specialist to do a ton of tests, vet calls and first said to come in to do some tests, then calls back and says hold off and see how tick panel comes back. Dargo is still sneezing blood, although not as much, has vomited a few more times, barely eats and was just caught chewing his front leg where they had shaved and he had a bump from the injection site. I know its a lot of info and a lot of variables but any ideas would be so appreciated. I'm scared for my puppy!!!!!!
Last edited by DargoCrichtonMom; 03-23-2011 at 09:40 PM.
I am soooo sorry that you are going through this. Had a similar situation with Abbey 2 years ago. She had a slight cough and just seemed off. Took her to the vet and she had pnenomia! She was put on a broad spectrum antibiotic and continued to get worse. Thousands of dollars worth of tests and a four day hospital stay in an oxygen tent still no answers as to what caused the illness. Abbey did get better, but was on antibiotics for 6 weeks. Is there a vet university program in your area, perhaps they might be able to find the answers.
I am so very sorry that I cannot offer any answers but, I do send my prayers that you find answers and your boy Dargo is on the mend quickly.
I'm so sorry!
I have no answers either, but wanted you to know you have my prayers for Dargo!
Please keep us posted and welcome to the board.
You'll find lots of support here.
It's a tough life.....but someone has to do it.
Daisy and Coco sunbathing.
Sorry I have no answers. Is there a veterinary teaching hospital near you, that may be a good idea. If you don't get many responses here...post in lab chat, it gets alot more traffic. My prayers are with you and your pups, please keep us posted.
I hope you find an answer soon! Here are some of the basic things that crossed my mind. What do you feed him? I had problems with my pug with the anemia and stuff and they did an xray (told me what they found (a tumor? a blockage? I never saw/discussed the ultrasound with anyone) and told me he was too weak for surgery in the same breath as he needed an exploratory. But anyway I did some research into Nutro, what he had been fed for many years and I sincerely think that was what caused the damage. ConsumerAffairs.com Search . The vets wanted to know nothing about this - I brought in clip upon clip of dogs going through the same exact thing but they just blew it off.
The nose issue - the first thing that came to mind was the Bounce dryer bar. Do you happen to use that? Again with the pug - well the whole family, actually, when I put the dryer bar in the dryer everyone's nose immediately clogged up. I had to take him to the vet because he was having so much trouble breathing.
Is it possible he got into something that he shouldn't have as far as sweeteners, grapes, chocolate?
Keep us posted!
Last edited by Spike's Mom; 03-24-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Mom to Spike & Tiller
I have no answers, did he happen to eat or drink something bad? I will be praying for him and you.
Have they done a blood pressure? What was his platelet count? How low were his WBCs and which were low? Did anyone look at a blood smear? I think the tick panel is a great idea.
Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy
Sending good thoughts & prayers for your boy. I agree with doing the tick panel. But they would put him on Doxycycline anyway, so that's a good idea. Did they check platelets? Were they low. Our old girl had a nose bleed & her platelets were low. When Molly was sick they ran every tick borne parasite test known to man. It took about 7 days before the results came back, but she was put on Doxycycline. All the tests came back normal. Please keep us posted.
Thank you everyone.... All tests are coming back normal as is bp and most levels of everything. We've been to the vet daily since Tuesday. Thursday morning he is so congested and breathing funny that I raced him to the vet and they had me to go to the hospital again. After more blood tests, chem panel, abdomen ultersound, nasal smear test, protein in urine & anti nauseus meds (injection and pills for 4 days) - we still know nothing. The only good thing was that the white blood cell count is now back to normal. Friday morning, Dargo's congestion was 90% better so we thought our luck was turning esp since he ate a little for dinner but around 1am - we had to rush him back. Now Dargo has a protein buildup in his right left leg - it started as a golf ball size around his knee and is now swollen from above and to his pad. He also had a 105 temp and after another blood test, his white blood cells are elevated! They checked his platelets but they are fine. They thought he may have needed a blood transfusion. The ER doc suggested it may be fungal... Our regular vet is checking with the lab and an internalist to determine the next course. The early results of the tick panel are negative. Vet said may be auto-immune which is treated with steroids but could be fatal to give him if its not auto-immune... Thankfully his fever is gone, he ate a full breakfast and he seems more like himself except he cant put weight on his leg. I'm at a complete loss and am just praying that he recovers soon!! Thank you for the prayers and suggestions...
Last edited by DargoCrichtonMom; 03-26-2011 at 03:35 PM.