Changed Food Need Help

Thread: Changed Food Need Help

DefaultChanged Food Need Help

hi! I try to summarize the roller coaster I have been on...wanted to change from PP Selects Chicken to what I thought would be a higher quality kibble.
    Went to Innova and 2yr old chewed back paws raw..switched to Evo no change. Went to Cal Natural Lamb and Rice and feet are better and seem to be healing however she has thrown up on two separate occasions within the last two weeks of being on the food. middle of afternoon and middle of last night once last week once last night - throws up a little food and 15 min or so later throws up a little more then all is fine - can it be the food? vet thinks I need to leave her on it for awhile before changing again - help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

It's difficult to say whether that specific food is causing that or perhaps the number of changes or what.

I'm curious, though, what did you object to about the ProPlan Selects food that you decided to change?

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Nothing other than being repeatedly being told it was an inferior food and that the corn gluten as a 3rd ingredient was dangerous - I bought into it and am (or rather my dog) is now suffering the consequences

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lucky6 is offline Senior Member

Did you switch over slowly? Is there a reason you chose lamb vs. chicken?
    Katie adopted by koko

TBGSAM is offline Senior Member

We just switched 3 of ours back to proplan ourselves after months of diarrhea, throwing up, uti's, poor coats, goopy eyes and stinky ears it was terrible. We have always had good results with proplan and the only reason we switched was because Sarah has severe allergies to corn products. Also we thought we were doing something better for our pets. We could tell after a couple days back on the proplan all three are better now and we are still working on Sarah's food choice.

There was a big debate on another board about how inferior proplan is supposed to be but to tell you the truth my dogs look, feel and act much better on the proplan then they did on any of the more expensive foods.

I would suggest going back to what works for you and your baby.

Lucky6 is offline Senior Member

I agree. I've known plenty of dogs who have thrived and lived to a ripe old age eating old roy. It's kinda like humans, you have one man who runs marathons, eats healthy, lives healthy and dies of a heart attack at 45, then you have another man who eats bacon everyday, drinks, smokes and lives to 92. Its a genetic make up. Granted the better you take care of your pet the odds are in your favor but....what works for one may not work for others. Do whats best for your dog, not what others think you should do.
    Katie adopted by koko