Cord is on a Diet.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cord is on a Diet.

Corduroy is offline Member

DefaultCord is on a Diet.

So... Surprise... my lab is a bit over weight... lol. I just got thyroid blood test results back and it's a negative... so that doesn't explain why he is a whopping 100 lbs even. Maybe you guys can help?

Cord was eating between 2 1/2 and 3 cups per day over the winter. I typically gave him pedigree large breed mixed with kibbles n bits (I know, crap but he loves it). On more active winter days he got 1 1/2 in the morning and the same at night... on lower activity days he got 1 1/2 cup in the morning and only 1 cup at night. We don't go treat crazy... his thyroid is fine. Does anyone else have a lab with a lower metabolism?

In the spring, sumer, and fall I take him jogging and his healthy weight is more around 80- 85 lbs. We have not started jogging yet---- so all winter he has not been as active. He is a huge, stocky, shorter (english variety) lab. He looks like his bones are bigger and his head is very blocky and large and he is very muscular. He has always been that way. It's frustrating to me to try to strike a balance... and it was really depressing to me when he weighed in at 100 lbs.. because I really want him healthy.

So, needless to say he is cut down for food (just 2 cups per day... 1 cup in the am and 1 cup in the pm.) And I am exercising him much more now... and this friday will be about two weeks and I'm gonna swing him in to the vets for a weigh in for my heavy weight, lol. I also changed his food to that new Purina One Beyond (and he gets occassional treats of kibbles n' bits... but I'm talking a very small amount if he is very active).

Any advice or opinions would be very much appreciated. Thanks so much!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Anyone.... lol.. help!

javasmom is offline Senior Member

It sounds like you're on the right track-less food and more exercise. that's the formula for losing weight.
    If Cord still acts hungry try adding come canned, no salt green beans to his dinner to fill him up with very few calories. Maybe try baby carrots as a treat instead of Kibbles N Bits...I would elminate the Kibbles N Bits altogether and look for something healthier to use as a treat. My girls love veggies and low fat string cheese, as well as the 100% dried liver.
    I'm not familiar with the Purina One Beyond food...my girls are both on grain free food and they're lean and mean!!!

This has been a tough winter where I am, no not as much activity as I'd like...I cut their food back accordingly during the winter when they're less active and up it a little in the warmer months when their activity is high.
    Swimming is great exercise for them too, especially heavier dogs-it puts less stress on their joints.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Your on the right track! My dogs are on Purina dog chow and they are very healthy For treats we get frozen veggie sometimes and they love them and gobble them up.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Thanks so much---- I will try the veggies as treats. I like the idea of freezing them-- in the summer I know he'll love that. He does like to swim too, I just can't let him off leash right now... there's not many places to do it aruond water and he just turned two and we're working with him off leash, almost there tho. Thanks for the advice and support!

I actually decided to bring him to the vet today and weigh him and he is 97.5---- 2 lbs in about ten days... ok, I'm happy because his diet is working!! I also just got him a new backpack to help burn more calories when we start hiking... and now he can carry his own water, lol!

Oh, the other thing I was wondering what people's opinions were on was this... the vet tech today seemed extremely concerned that 2 cups per day total was not gonna be enough for him. The vet approved of this diet because over winter he was getting 2 1/2 to 3 per day total and he ballooned up to 100 lbs. So... what do you guys think? Have you ever had to put your lab on a diet AND... how much did you then feed him as part of the diet? How much do you feed your dog/s now, then?

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Corduroy View Post
    Oh, the other thing I was wondering what people's opinions were on was this... the vet tech today seemed extremely concerned that 2 cups per day total was not gonna be enough for him. The vet approved of this diet because over winter he was getting 2 1/2 to 3 per day total and he ballooned up to 100 lbs. So... what do you guys think? Have you ever had to put your lab on a diet AND... how much did you then feed him as part of the diet? How much do you feed your dog/s now, then?
    Java had back to back knee surgeries last year (3-25-10 & 6-3-10) which basically called for totally restricted activity other than short walks for extended periods of time (months..) so I had to cut back on her food because of the inactivity. For 4 months she was allowed to only go outside to pee, then back in the house. She would have been HUGE if she had continued to get the same amount of food as she was getting before this happened.
    Java was getting 3/4 cup of food for breakfast with some non fat yogurt and either blueberries or strawberries. For dinner she got 1/2 cup of food with a can of no salt green beans or peas. On the weekends only she was allowed to have 1 can of wet food (EVO 95% Beef or Venison) split over 4 meals. She did not get any treats other than a piece of kibble for good potty times.
    So...her total food intake during this time was only 1 1/4 cup of food per day, with veggies and fruit, as well as yogurt. She went from 75 lbs pre-surgery to 60 lbs (her weight now is 62-63 lbs). She lost about 12-13 lbs total DURING her recovery from surgery, as opposed to gaining weight. For ortho dogs, lighter is better for their joints, so although at 75 lbs she was not considered overweight at all, the ortho surgeon wanted her leaner. She is much leaner and more muscular now. She is 2 years old.

Now that she is fully recovered and off all restrictions and very active again, Java gets 3/4 cup of food for breakfast and 3/4 cup for dinner, along with fruits and veggies still. She also gets a few more treats than before (I give them Natural Balance grain free Bison and Sweet potato cookies-small breed size).

I would stay with the 2 cups per day for now and see how he does. As the weather warms up and Cord becomes more active you may be able to add more food (1/4 at one meal at a time) to keep him at a healthy weight. For right now though, the goal is to get his weight down, then once the weight is off and he's active you may be able to feed more food to maintain the healthy weight.

Thank you for sharing and for the advice. So many people must think I'm nuts to want specifics on amounts of food per day but---- for a dog like mine who has a very slow metabolism it really matters. The tech gave me the strangest look today when I told her it was the *total for the day and not the amount he ate per sitting. I never imagined he would get this big so I"m very much taking this diet serious. His joints are my main concern because of the weight issue. So far so good... but that weight has got to come off. Thanks so much for the much appreciated opinion.

I'm learning that I really do need to feed him more veggies..... wake up call for me!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast