Bentley is chewing on his wrap.(long)

Thread: Bentley is chewing on his wrap.(long)

deidra is offline Senior Member

DefaultBentley is chewing on his wrap.(long)

I have gone threw about 10 wraps in 2-3 days. He is so bored he sits there and just chews and naws on it untill it comes of. My cousin works as a nurse adn gets them fro free but i do not like asking her to bring them over all the time. The vet did not give us a cone. My aunt has an extra one because her dog just broke her leg (4 month old pit bull). Also he was really sluggish yesterday. My mom called him to go in the bed with her and he slowly walked in there and it took him 3 minutes to just get up there. Usually it take 30 seconds for him to run in there and jump on the bed. He has limped a little and i called the vet they said it was nothing to worry about. He is sleeping with me on my bed and goes in his crate most the day. We had family members over here yesterday and he wagged his tail and went straight back to the crate. Usually he will wait for food to drop or will get really excited and run in circles,not yesterday though. Should i be worried or no?
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I missed what originally happened, if Bentley has an injury, I'd limit his activity. Don't encourage him to run around, climb up on furniture and things like that. As for chewing the bandages- try rubbing a little Ben Gay on them (that's the stuff people rub on their joints if they have arthritis). The smell should be enough to stop him. Just make sure not to touch your face or eyes until you've washed it off your hands. It's not so odd for dogs to act kind of mopey and depressed when they have a cone on, especially the first few days. To keep him occupied so he doesn't chew the bandages, try giving him a Kong or empty soup bone stuffed with some peanutbutter that you've frozen. I like to mix in some pieces of dog biscuits or baby carrots, too.

brody is offline Senior Member

did they give him antibiotics? (either a needle when he was there or pills for you to give him?) If not watch both the wound site and his attitude carefully - the last think he needs is an infection.

When you can't watch him put a cone on him - taking the bandage off frequently can be a problem - not the least of which is rebandaging can be difficult and you might cut off circulation to his foot trying to stop him getting it off

how many stitches did he end up getting?

hang in there - and be relieved he's being quiet - usually keeping them quiet is tough
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yes,they gave em amoxicillin. I give it once in the morning and again before before bed. The stitches go all the way across on the pad. I am picking up a cone and more wraps from my aunt today. his attitude is o.k. i guess but like i said we had family members over and usually he is all wiggles but he went straight to his crate. Usually Tank will do that if their are to many men in the house but not Bentley. When he got neutered it was the complete oppisite i was going to jump out of my skin because he was so hyper and it was hard to keep him calm. He gets the stitches out the 25th but he will still have to be calm for a week after that to make sure it heals the right way. i am buying another kong today and will see if it works. I have a bone for him but it is almost gone. Thanks for the help!

brody is offline Senior Member

Pads are very difficult to heal - hang in there

stuffing a Kong is great idea - it gives him something to enjoy no matter if he feels great or cruddy
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

I bought the Kong and this is what happened. I bought Bentley a Kong and Tank a new squeaky toy. Well i put them down and Tank took the Kong and Bentley takes the squeaky toy. I got the Kong from tank and squeaky toy from Bentley. I put peanut butter in it and he LOVES it! Tank already tore up his new toy so now we have a 2 legged rabbit to play with that squeaks.

bett is offline Senior Member

i'd get the cone on him and let him heal. it hurts so he's not gonna act like himself.