New Rescued Lab, Started Scratching Yesterday

Thread: New Rescued Lab, Started Scratching Yesterday

wisluggo is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew Rescued Lab, Started Scratching Yesterday

Hi JL Community,

My wife and I adopted our first lab from the local humane society. His name is Mack and is roughly 70 pounds and almost 5; he had a pretty rough life as he has a huge callus on his belly (the crown of his rib cage) from (what I was told) was him laying on something hard for the better part of his life.

We brought him home on Tuesday and he has been a wonderful addition to our family (we have no kids, but two cats). Late yesterday, he started scratching for a few seconds every time he got up. They were not long scratches, 10 seconds or so, but they were accompanied by some chewing and licking his legs.

He is scratching behind his front legs and around his chest, so my first thought is the Easy Walk Harness may be bothering him. In terms of diet, the shelter had him on Dog Chow but we are moving him towards grain free Infinia (Bison and sweet potato, chicken and brown rice (yes, I know rice is a grain)).

Aside from the diet change, are there other things we could be doing to help out Big Mack?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

has he had flea medication? It could be a skin problem. Did the human society say anything about it? Bentley has been scratching for awhile since i just picked him up from the vet but that is because he was next to a dog covered in fleas and now he has them. Have you used any type of flea shampoo on him? Thanks for rescuing both my boys are rescue! Did you use wipe downs on him? If so he could be reacting to it.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Thanks for the fast reply, the shelter told me he had been given an dose of Revolution (is that a flea medication?) He did have a bath at PetCo on Wednesday but we have not used any wipes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yes. it is also for ear mites and heartworms. He coudl be either allergic to the shampoo or it is just irritating his skin. I thank it could be just fleas. When i got Bentley from the pound he was covered in them.We gave him a bath he still had them so when he went to get nutered they also gave him some meds and another bath. If it gets really bad call your vet and see what they thank about it. Has he been in a pond or lake swimming? The dirt from the ponds get svery very irratating if it is not washed of. It cold also be lots of loose hair. Has he been brushed?

We have not brushed him yet, that is a good idea. I am guessing a wire brush is not suggested as his skin is sensitive...so what kind of brush should be used? He has an appointment with the vet tomorrow (part of his check up from the pound).

Could he be allergic to our cats?

Quote Originally Posted by wisluggo View Post
    We have not brushed him yet, that is a good idea. I am guessing a wire brush is not suggested as his skin is sensitive...so what kind of brush should be used? He has an appointment with the vet tomorrow (part of his check up from the pound).

Could he be allergic to our cats?
    He could be allergic to the cats but i have not heard fo it personnaly. Four Paws Groomers Dream here is a bursh that may work it is bristle but has a round tip. I would ask the vet for the allergic to cats thing because you may need meds for it so it does not get worse.

Nallah06 is offline Senior Member

Take a look at the area's he's scratching. He may just have dry skin, or it could be a nervous habit thing just with being in a new home.

Since you've only had him a few days, its hard to pinpoint it exactly. Try to see if there's any patterns to his itching, is it when the cats are near him? Is it after you've had the harness on him? Is it after he eats?

I'm not sure what Dog Chow has for grains, I'm assuming just corn....so it could also be the brown rice in the new food. (A lot of dogs have grain intolerences)

I'm sure within the next few days you can start to pinpoint it better. Congrats on the new addition.

Oh, one more thing! Be careful with how much you bathe him....baths ruin the natural oils in their coats. My dogs get a bath only when they need it (like if they've rolled in something nasty!)
    Loved by Kelley
    Nallah (8/6/2006)
    Morgan (5/17/2008)
    Remi (7/3/2010)

bett is offline Senior Member

for starters , have you taken him to the vet for a check up?
    he could be allergic, he could have food issues, it could be nerves, ......lots of could bes. what was he bathed with? he may need an oatmeal type gentle bathing but i'd start with the vet and bring whatever records you have.
    good luck and keep us posted.

We have his vet appointment tomorrow, and I now realize that bathing him is not the best thing. He seems to lick his paws and scratch both outside and inside, and I have just given him a benadryl.

He started this late yesterday afternoon before we started getting him off the dog chow so I don't think it can be the new food. Over the past few days he has had a variety of treats, but I have taken them all away. So now it will be kibble and sardines, hopefully he will calm down after the vet visit.