Rough "coughs" instead of barks, help!

Thread: Rough "coughs" instead of barks, help!

ExclamationRough "coughs" instead of barks, help!

Hi,

Lucy is about 1 1/2 yrs old and for the last 2 weeks my girlfriend has had her on a lead with a choke collar because she keeps digging out of our yard.

She's been barking fine up until tonight. Her barks turned into a cough-like wheezing bark and she breathes like this whenever she gets excited now. Obviously something is wrong and I'm extremely worried but can't afford a vet bill...

Any advice? I'm worried it may be her windpipe as she doesn't seem to be in pain but has trouble breathing. Could something be stuck? Or could she have collapsed it by pulling on her lead/collar too much?

Please respond quickly..she breathes normally if she's not being active.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Seamus Lab is offline Senior Member

You need to take her to the vet right away. She sounds like she could be very sick. My lab had kennel cough as a pup and it turned into pneumonia. It almost killed him. He was in the hospital for almost a week. Please take her to the vet so that if it's something serious it can be treated right away.

Seamus Lab is offline Senior Member

You should post this in lab chat as more experienced folks will see it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I'll move it over with your suggestion...thanks.

sarah is offline Senior Member

Lucy is about 1 1/2 yrs old and for the last 2 weeks my girlfriend has had her on a lead with a choke collar because she keeps digging out of our yard.
    Or could she have collapsed it by pulling on her lead/collar too much?
    You should NEVER EVER tie an animal up with a choke collar on unsupervised. It sounds like she has been straining against this collar as it tightened and done serious damage. Choke chains are only to be used in a controlled environment. What on earth made your girlfriend use this collar?

You must take her to a vet straight away. Ask them about a payment plan or something. Lucy needs professional medical assistance ASAP.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    You must take her to a vet straight away. Ask them about a payment plan or something. Lucy needs professional medical assistance ASAP.
    X100

No pup should be tied up on a choke chain. She may well have damaged her larynx with the pressure of the chain. Only a vet doing a physical examination can give you an accurate diagnosis & hopefully treat it.

If it's one thing that's seriously annoying me lately, it's the number of first time posters who join this forum asking complete strangers advice on serious problems that only a qualified vet can answer after looking at the dog in person NOT by reading a bunch of words on a monitor. The health of your dog is something you shouldn't gamble with under any circumstances.

FGS, get her to a vet.