Anal glands
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anal glands

LuvRgirl is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnal glands

I mentioned in a previous post that Bella is pooping several times a day. However I didn't mention that she isn't releasing her anal glands on her own. When we went to her first vet visit I told the vet that I had to empty them. (yes I know how to do it correctly, had a vet show me long time ago with a previous dog) He did it again but said that I had done a great job and they were empty, but now I have had to empty them 3 times this week alone as she is licking her bottom and that horrible skunk like smell gives it away that they are full. Sure enough each time, they are full. It is not infected, the normal color the vet told me it should be but why isn't she emptying them on her own. Her stools are hard most of the time, and I have added green beans which has made her stools even firmer. Any ideas?
    Sweet Bella Mia at Zion National Park.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

what are you feeding her?
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Nutro Ultra

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

I am not familiar with that food but I was feeding my Lab a brand of kibble and her anal glands were horrible and filled up fast (every fortnight-ish) and the vet told me that "some dogs just have this happen and some don't"

I wasn't convinced, I changed her food (food switch was also to combat other things such as gunky eyes, smelly ears and dry skin/itching) and she is now on Innova EVO Large Bites Grain free (switched at 12 months of age) and I have not had to express her anal glands for almost 6 months and the above other symptoms are also gone.

I think maybe a food switch might be worth a try?
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Thanks so much, I have been getting that suggestion from others as well, but with our job situation and with two recently bought large bags of the Nutro we have to stay on it until they are used up. We simply can't afford to change at this juncture in time.
    I am realizing I need to do a personal search and study of the differing dog foods out there and then make a change. She has eye yuckies too, so it's probably the dog food.

rayofsun is offline Senior Member

We had a similar problem with Raven. She didn't need them emptied quite so often though, maybe about every month or two. We changed to a grain free food (Nature's Variety Instinct) and that helped A LOT. But she still has to have them emptied by the vet sometimes, every 8 months or so. Our vet said some dogs have them located in a weird spot/too far back and they don't empty on their own.

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

I can sympathize with you, as my Breezy seems to need her anal glands expressed just about once a month. We have been to the Vet many times because of this, and she has assured me that they do not appear to be infected. She said some dogs just need a little help since they cannot express them on their own. Another Vet recommended giving Breezy some canned pumpkin (UN-sweetened) every day, as this will bulk up her stools and hopefully help her empty her anal glands when she poops. I have been giving her the canned pumpkin but she still needed the Vet to express her glands just the other day, and they were full. I feed Breezy Wellness Core, which is grain-free. So I don't know, maybe she is just one of those dogs that will always need 'assistance'. I hope you can find a solution.......I know it's hard to see them in discomfort!
    ~Catherine

Thank you Rayofsun and Bebopalula it is so helpful to me to know that other's are experiencing this problem as Bella albeit not as often. My husband told me last night that we will just donate our unopened bag of Nutro Ultra to a dog shelter and we are going out to purchase something that will be more suitable for Bella. Her eyes are goopy and she is scratching at herself a lot lately. So I looked at the dog food ingredients and yup, third on the list was corn meal, this must be the culprit.
    I have tried the pumpkin and it firmed up her stools when she had the trots but green beans seem to do the trick better for her. We are down to three dog food choices, Diamond Naturals, Wellness Core and Nature's Variety. All three of these don't contain wheat, soy or corn.
    Wish us the best in our hunt to find what will work best for our sweetie!
    Sweet Bella Mia at Zion National Park.

Lucky6 is offline Senior Member

I'm wondering if Koko is having problems with her anal glands as well. Everytime she poops, twice a day, she will continue to grunt even though nothing comes out. Her poops are normal in texture but she will grunt forever after she is done. The vet said maybe she is trying to express her glands and offered to express them but I had just given her a bath and knew I couldn't bathe her again for awhile and didn't want that smell following us home. Do your dogs do that as well?
    Katie adopted by koko

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

While I prefer other brands of food over Nutro, you MAY want to consider adding fiber to your dog's diet before you scrap all the food you have already. You can add fiber by sprinkling bran cereal on the food, or by adding green beans, or by adding a couple spoons of canned pumpkin to the diet. You may want to try that before you jump on the food roller coaster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast